vancouver hotels

Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:45 PM
lisa

vancouver hotels

Anyone with feedback on the Listel Hotel in Vancouver? Any other thoughts? Would like to stay in a small boutique type of hotel in central Vancouver. Appreciate any advice. We are going in August of this year if that makes a difference.

Jul 4th, 2002, 05:14 AM
ron

The Listel is a small boutique type of hotel in central Vancouver, so it should be exactly what you want. I've not stayed there since it converted from a Best Western mid-market hotel a few years ago, but have been in the lobby - modern, trendy, cool.

Jul 4th, 2002, 05:30 PM
lisa

Thanks for the answer. Any info on the Wedgewood or the interesting looking (website that is) Pacific Palisades?

Jul 4th, 2002, 06:10 PM
ron

The Pacific Palisades is kitty-corner from the Listel. Best location in Vancouver, in my view. It was my regular hotel in Vancouver from the mid-80s to mid-90s and I really liked it; especially comfortable for multi-day stays (which is why it was very popular with the Hollywood folk filming in Vancouver). It has changed ownership since then, but if they have kept the maintenance up, it should still be good.

I know the Wedgewood only by reputation - hobby hotel designed, developed and and managed by wife of local multi-millionaire whose name I have forgotten (Nelson Skalbania?). Have only heard good things about it.

Jul 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
cindy

Yes, the Wedgewood is owned by Eleni Skalbania, wife of Nelson. I've been singing the praises of the place on this board a lot; I've stayed there numerous times, although these days I can't really afford to any more. It's a small, boutique-type European-style hotel across the street from the Vancouver courthouse, an easy walk from Robson Street. The restaurant is fantastic and the staff are very helpful and attentive. The rooms are large and comfy - don't know what else I can tell you except that I would LOVE to stay there again - it's really worth the price.

Jul 4th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Bob

Nelson and Eleni divorced many,many years ago.

Jul 5th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Cindy

Oops! Well, she does still own the place. And it's still wonderful.

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:32 PM
lisa

Thanks for the tidbits. It was a tough decision but rates and availability helped decide this one.

Jul 29th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Joe

Lisa: If you haven't made reservations yet, we just returned and stayed at the Listel. It is a very nice little hotel. The rooms are very nicly decorated and of good size. We were on the 4th floor and while there was no view to speak of, we did look out onto open space with just a little glimpse of the bay. I liked the newspaper every morning and we did purchase the vouchers to have breakfast at O'Douls every morning (for us a time-saver). O'Douls offers fresh squeezed orange juice to all breakfast diners immediately upon being seated followed quickly by coffee. The breakfasts were good.
You can't beat the location on Robson. Allowed us to walk everywhere.
Don't miss Granville Market, prefereably in the morning and wandering lower Robson. Every imaginable (and some you won't imagine) ethnic shop, restaurant, cafe, etc. This is a great area if you are into that kind of thing (we are). We went with a list of restaurants we would try based on info we gleened from this board. But, we were so enthralled with this Robson area, we wound up eating at a number of small, local restaurants; Hungarian, Korean, French, Vietnamese, etc. Love Vancouver!