Truro for business

Search

Truro for business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truro for business

I've never been to Canada and will likely be going to Truro for business this summer. I'll be staying 10 days or so. Anything I should try to see while I'm there? Anyone recommend a good site to look at photos of Truro? Any information would be nice.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:43 AM
BAK

Truro is one of the least known places in Canada. But that's not to say it is not a nice place. Very small city, not much industry, but well located for day trips from it to nice scenery, excellent seafood.

If possible, it would be a very good idea to have a car, assuming you have free tiome in the late afternoons and evenings.

If you can arrage your weekends,you can take several two-day trips from Truro to some of the most popular toruist desitinations in the country. Being away overnight one night would allow a nice visit to Prince Edward Island; the same for an overnight visit to Halifax; and you could visit Cape Breton's Cabor Trail on another overnight visit.

Where are you coming from?

BAK
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Truro isn't one of the most attractive parts of Ns IMO, but it is a good area to base yourself. The Truro area is a good place to observe the tidal action. You can even raft against the tide, which looks like great fun!

You might want to consider a day-trip to Parrsboro or even Joggins, a fascinating area that doesn't draw a lot of tourists. This area is known for its fossils and rocks and minerals. You can take tours to learn about and collect either. Parrsboro has a small paleontology museum and a cute, homey downtown. If you like to hike, nearby Cape Chignito is an excellent one - stop to see Advocate Harbor along the way - very scenic.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 02:33 AM

I would highly recommend a day trip up the Glooscap Trail towards Parrsboro! If you are so inclined, don't miss Cape D'or - you can even book a night at the lighthouse! Stop in at the various artists along the way - Joy Laking Gallery and Raspberry Bay Stone are not to be missed. The Fossil Museum at Parrsboro is a wonderful stop and if you happen to spend the night in the area, don't miss a performance at the Ship's Company Theatre.

New Glasgow/Pictou is only a 30 minute drive and some of the best beaches in Nova Scotia. Melmerby is a provincial beach with good access and amenities. In historic Pictou you can get a great cup of tea at Mrs. MacGregors Tea Room, watch a carving class at Carver's Coffee House and have a good cup of java, some great spots to shop and relax. If in early August, New Glasgow will boast its Riverfront Festival with some great music.

Just outside of Truro is Tatamagouche and a wonderful spot to explore and relax. If there on a Saturday, I highly recommend you take in the Farmer's Market at the Creamery. Don't forget to check out the Train Station Inn (former railway cars made into accommodations and an authentic dining car). There are wonderful spots to dine and shop. Just ask the locals! I can give you so much more info on this area - just a wonderful spot in the summer!

As for photos ...
www.town.parrsboro.ns.ca
www.sunrisetrail.ca/places/Tatamagouche.htm
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'll becoming from Dallas and have no idea how much free time I'll have. I'm quite sure I'll have a car though. I may inquire further once I know when my trip will be. Thanks again.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM

A car is really mandatory and I've consistently been able to get very good rates through National at Halifax Airport (which seemed to be just about as close to Truro as it is to Halifax). A couple of neat things I noticed in Truro:

1. Victoria Park is a unique place with walkways, waterfalls, staircases -- it's really very exceptional.

2. When Dutch Elm disease ravaged a number of the city's large trees a few years back, they figured out a way to make lemonade from the lemons. An artist was hired by people and businesses who sponsored trees. Instead of taking them down at ground level, they were cut higher up the trunk. The remainder of each tree was then fashioned into a wooden sculpture and they are really quite good. (You'll notice them now that you know what to look for.)

It's an hour or less to Halifax and that is where I would plan on spending much of my free time if I were in your situation. Rather than driving into Halifax and looking for parking on every occasion, you could also go to the ferry terminal on the Dartmouth side, park and then take the ferry across to the Halifax waterfront for a little variety.

I agree with those who recommend Pictou. And if you're a seafood fan, all along the North shore of the Bay of Fundy from Parrsboro to Truro, you will find little mom & pop seafood 'restaurants' where you can enjoy some of the finest fresh seafood imaginable at very little cost. The exteriors of these places can make you wonder; some may even be in mobile homes. Get over it and go inside. You will meet some of the friendliest people on earth serving fabulous fresh seafood! These people know how to prepare things and they have plenty to choose from: clams, scallops, lobster, flounder and more. It's DELICIOUS and it's a beautiful drive, too.

We took the Springhill exit off Highway 104, headed down to Parrsboro and then took the coastline back to Truro. If you love seafood, you will be in Seventh Heaven.