Montreal/Quebec - Help with hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Montreal and Quebec City at the end of May. In Montreal is it best to stay in Old Montreal or downtown. Was planning on staying at Auberge du Vieux-Port but have read some unsavory reviews on various forums. Also considering Hotel Nelligan, Loews Vogue, Hotel St. James, the W (too trendy?) In Quebec City, considering the Auberge Saint-Antoine; Hotel Dominion 1912 looks too minimalistic, the Fairmont? Any and all recommendations would be extremely appreciated!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
wow

Re: Montreal. I like to stay downtown & cab it to Old Montreal. Some do it the other way around. I find Loews Vogue tired & badly in need of refurbishment. We stay @ Omni on Sherbrooke (nice pool) or Le Germain(boutique Hotel on Mansfield just around the corner from Omni). Omni is not far from Loews Vogue. There is another "trendy" hotel on Sherbrooke that you may like: Sofitel. We have friends who love it there.I find it too "cold"....feel like I am standing in line @ the bank when I am checking in. Others love W. So, you really have to check them out yourself.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

A friend mentioned the Hyatt for the location. If we won't be spending too much time in the hotel, what do you think? Is the Omni far superior? Thank you for your reply and advice. Also, any favorite restaurants?
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
wow

Haven't stayed @ Hyatt so can't compare to Omni.
There is an amazing Thai reatuarant in Omni called Zen. We always go there at least one night. Onmi is @ Peel & Sherbrooke. From Omni, we "cab it" up to the "cobblestoned area" where we like Minerva (842-5451) and La Cabane Greque(849-0122) both on Prince Arthur.Both very casual. Have also heard very good things about Guy & Dodo(842-3636) on Metcalfe from another poster here. Will try it next time.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:34 AM

I also like staying downtown.
We have stayed at the Hyatt quite a few times and it is very convenient to Place des Arts (and, for us, to the neighborhood where our son, a McGill student, lives). It is also closer to the Plateau area for restaurants, but farther from the restaurants downtown.

I think you would find that the Omni and the golden mile area of Sherbrooke are more luxurious, certainly somewhat if not "far" superior.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
wow

Hi, vttraveler! My son is also @ McGill! He's in the middle of exams right now. Has 3 more to write. How about your son? Is he finished?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
hdm

I know I sound like a broken record (and it just occurs to me that anyone under the age of 30 probably has no idea what that means), but

Hotel Le Saint-Sulpice, in Old Montreal.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

Hi, wow
My son at McGill has his last exam tomorrow but will start right up again soon with a one-month course in May
He reports that everyone is outside today in this amazing summer-like weather.

By the end of May when lkj2 will be visiting Montreal, the weather should be consistently warm. The city is full of outdoor cafes and outdoor activities from late spring to early fall.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
wow

Hi, vttraveler! Oh, yes, the glorious weather in Montreal! My son said that he wished the library did not have windows!!!
Well, one more down today...2 more to go.
He does not finish until April 30th! Ugh!
Will your son get to go home b/t the end of exams & the start of his course in May?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:47 AM

Hi again, wow
My son is moving to another apt so won't be home again until after his May course.
We hope to go up one weekend in May to see him. He has a summer job in Montreal so we will also do some trips then for some of the festivals. We also like going to see the Rogers Cup tennis match in August.

lkj2--be sure to look at the tourist web site for events listings in late May
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM
wow

Hi,vttraveler! Sounds like you have a few great Montreal visits to look forward to! Montreal in May is oh so beautiful! My son is also moving to a new apt (on Hutchinson) in May! Your screen name makes me think that you are from Vermont. Is that right?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I have always found the downtown Novotel to be quite decent as far as facilities, location, and price. I have also stayed at Vogue and it also was nice. Good pub to visit is Hurleys Irish Pub.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM

"Was planning on staying at Auberge du Vieux-Port but have read some unsavory reviews on various forums."

My 2 cents. I stayed in one of the Auberge du Vieux-Port loft apartments and ate the breakfast in the hotel with my family. Had charming chats with some staff - English sisters (called Anglophone I think).
I think the location is everything in choosing a lodging and there is probably none better than this one. This is also an upscale establishment which I think can and does attract the snobby upper crust people. Actually probably upper crust wanna-bes. With this crowd comes unreasonable expectations that they will be pampered and treated like kings and queens which they are not. I would read between the lines of these reviews and maybe not shy away from the place because of them. I paid $300 US per night as I recall and it was just what I wanted. Which was location, location, location and no regrets due to mistakes from being a cheapskate to a fault. (i.e. later say I should paid more and stayed there) I did not require to be waited on and pampered.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Hi, wow
Yes, I do live in Vermont, in a small town near Montpelier. Montreal is the closest big city for us and we have always loved visiting, even before we had the McGill connection.
My son is moving from Hutchison just below Prince Arthur to Aylmer.