Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip to Vacouver & Vancouver Island - ideas?

Apr 20th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I will be traveling to Vancouver for a vacation at the end of August. We were in Vancouver in 2001 and loved it. However, we only had a three days. This time we will have 6-7 days.

I'm thinking that 2-3 days in Vancouver may be enough and then spend the remaining time on Vancouver island. We both love hiking and would like to kayak.

I know very little about Vancouver island. Would 4-5 days be too much? Recommended areas on the island to stay? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!
Apr 21st, 2007, 03:54 AM

Nelcarp,
There's been a heap of info on this topic over the last several months, and a number of posters are making the same trip this summer. Put "Vancouver Island" in the search box above and have a look at all those posts. Judy in Calvary provides wonderful Vancouver itineraries - I'm sure using one!
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM

Just got back from 4 days on Vsncouver Island. Stayed in Tofino at Middle Beach Lodge. Highly recommended. WE went kayaking, whale watching and also did the hot springs. I think this would be ideal for what you are looking for. You probably need a car though as it is about 5 mins from town.
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Did you find 4 days on the island enough? We love Vancouver (the city) as well so it would be nice to take a couple of days there as well.
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM

nelcarp

Victoria and environs could take 2-3 days; ferry to Salt Spring Island or ferry to Sydney Spit another day

Tofino allow 3 days minimum; more if you want to do something really kewl :HotSprings Cove

Day trip from Victoria: Botanical Beach, great tidepools; bicycling on regional bike trails, hiking in regional parks too numerous to list

Wineries/ farmstands in the Cowichan Valley

AndrewDavid
Apr 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Hi

Have you considered sking, we loved it, only had a couple of days but truely awesome.

Some info here if this sounds like something you'd like to try
http://www.travel--guide.org/Vancouv...inginVancouver
Apr 28th, 2007, 08:33 AM

"Have you considered sking, we loved it, only had a couple of days but truely awesome."

Skiing in August??? Certainly not in Vancouver, and even glacier skiing at Blackcomb is over by then.