Montreal and Quebec City Hotels

Apr 11th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Montreal and Quebec City Hotels

My wife and I will be traveling to Montreal for 4 nts the end of July, then on to Quebec City for 3 nts. Any advice on hotels would be much appreciated.

As far as hotels, I don't mind spending more money if I get a good location, nice rooms, and great service. We usually like staying at the nicer hotels.

In reading the Montreal hotel reviews on Tripadvisor, it gets kind of confusing. The Ritz Carlton does not get the rave reviews RC normally gets in other locations around the world. Even tour books do not rate the RC that high. The W has gotten mixed reviews as well.

I was thinking of staying at the Marriott Chateau Champlain as Marriotts have nice buffet breakfasts, and I get Marriott rewards points. Is this hotel in a good location? I was also considering the Loews Hotel Vogue. Some of the other hotels seem to be factory like (ie. the Sheraton, inter-continental, hilton). I had also considered the Fairmont Elizabeth but I heard the rooms are really tiny.

In Quebec City, I originally was thinking about the Fairmont Frontenac, but it really is expensive for what you get (Over $200 per night more than everything else in Quebec City). Other suggestions in Quebec City would be really appreciative. I would consider smaller "boutique" places to stay as well as larger hotels.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Apr 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Montreal has enough great hotels to stay at that I would suggest foregoing the Marriott points in favour of new explorations. There are two main areas in Montreal that hotels cluster in -- the downtown core (which unlike some downtown cores does have ample restaurants and entertainment) and historic old Montreal.

Downtown, I frequently stay at the Loews Hotel Vogue. I like it very much. The lobby is small and the public rooms nothing to rave about, but the guestrooms themselves (and their bathrooms) are quite luxurious. I also like Le Germain Hotel. Unlike its counterpart in Quebec City, the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is rather bland and corporate and, as you have already learned, it does have quite small rooms at the lower end of the price range, although an "Entree Gold" room would fix that problem. The Sheraton is huge too. I've never stayed at the Ritz Carlton and can't speak to its status.

In old Montreal, Le St. James is the place to stay, although you will pay for it dearly. When I'm paying, I like the relaxed Hotel Nelligan.

Apr 14th, 2006, 06:16 PM
BAK

I, too, have never heard much good about the Ritz, other than it having a bar full of Montral power brokers.

The Chateua Champlain is just slightlyh inthe wrong place. It's two or three blocksd too far west, two or three blocks too far south.

So if you walk these two or three blocks, you end up closer to where you'd want to be.

I've often thought the Vogue would be a good place to stay, if I wanted tyo bne downtown. And downtown is a good place to stay.

Then again, Old Montreal is a good place to stay.

It really works out to a question of whether the historic distict is better than downtown, considering that which one you pick, you'll go visit the other one, probably several times.

Are you driving? The big downtgown hotels probably have easier parking. Montreal's a fairly easy city for driving, but the drivers, and pedestrians, are nuts, so be careful. You can spend a couple of days leaving your car in the garage, and still see lots.

We used to have a parking pass for the Hilton Vonaventure garage, and we'd just park there and wa;lk to Old Montreal, or the intereting downtown things to see and do. (We lived on Nun's Island)

BAK

Apr 15th, 2006, 11:28 PM

There are very nice, boutique hotels in Vieux Montreal. I would stay at one of those versus a chain hotel.

Take a look at the ones listed http://www.eatsleepgo.com/Montreal.html - they have most of the boutique hotels plus their reviews from the major publications. We found it very helpful in deciding where to stay. We loved the St. Paul
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who replied. I am still finalizing my plans and I appreciate all your suggestions.
May 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM
wow

Hi, Eric! Where did you decide to stay in Montreal? I will be going there around the end of August & still cannot decide where to stay. I am leaning toward Le Germain. Any ideas? I need to be close to McGill University. I know that Le Germain is close but where is Loew's Vogue? Is it w/in walking distance (about 10 minutes)?
May 31st, 2006, 01:38 AM

The Vogue is within a very short walking distance but le Germain is on a quieter side street, I would pick that one definitely and I've stayed at both and I live downtown.

For Quebec city, the Dominion is owned by le Germain group and my husband stays there when in Quebec city, he loves it. I have not been there but some friends did and adored it.
May 31st, 2006, 02:57 AM

we just stayed at the Hilton Quebec for Memorial Day weekend - I got it through hotwire for $92 a night. Absolutely amazing hotel - you can read my review in my trip report.
May 31st, 2006, 05:37 AM

wow, for Montreal, I would recommend Delta Montreal. I've stayed there many times and have always loved it - it's only about 2 blocks from McGill. I've used priceline and have gotten it for $35-40 american a night - that's in February, I'm not sure how much it would be in the summer.
May 31st, 2006, 07:36 AM

I've been to Quebec City twice, and have never stayed within the walls--never felt the need to, since Quebec is such a walker's city.

The first time I stayed in Quebec City, we stayed at the Delta. I felt the concrete walls found throughout the building to be uninviting and dated, the non-smoking room still stank of smoke, and there were some haphazardly spackled up (unpainted) holes in the bathroom door. It wasn't bad, but wasn't the least bit special, other than the fact that it had a pool, and it was pretty much right outside the city walls, which is quite convenient.

A few blocks further out of the walled city (10 minutes by foot from the Chateau Frontenac down the Grand Allee) is the Relais Charles Alexandre, where we stayed our second time. This truly was a very special little B & B--much better than the Delta (fyi: I have nothing against chain hotels), and cheaper all around. It seemed to have been recently renovated: the decor was classic rustic B & B, but the hardwood floor in our room gleemed, the bathroom had new and modern fixtures, and there was none of that sketchy musty smell many old B & Bs have ( all rooms completely non-smoking also). I found it quaint that they hung original art from local artists all over the hotel. The alarm clock doubled as a CD player, and the hotel left out a romantic Jazz compilation CD on the end table--just thought that was a nice little touch. Continental breakfast was included and wonderful, served by a very polite host. The price was very reasonable, the staff extremely gracious, and the Plains of Abraham were right out back--a great park for a stroll. Ave Cartier, a pretty hips spot for food/shopping, is located just a block down. I've heard some people complain about the distance from the Walled City. If staying within the walls is important to you, then this isn't the place for you. But I love the Grand Allee/Ave Cartier sections of the city too, especially later at night, and loved that I could stay in such a wonderful, romantic place for such a good price, and not have to worry about driving and parking deep within the crowded walled city.
May 31st, 2006, 09:30 AM
wow

Thanks, everybody!
Mitch: Do you mean that you wld pick Le Germain?
Jun 1st, 2006, 01:46 AM

Yes I would pick le Germain; you can get to de la Montagne street within a few minutes to shop at Ogilvy's, across the Vogue. Le Germain is more homey and quiet.
Jun 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM

Just returned from Montreal a few weeks ago. Stayed at Hotel Godin at Saint Laurent/Sherbrooke... really liked the location, a short walk to McGill and throughout Plateau, and had a nice breakfast.

Also stayed at the W... it was nice and very similar to the other W's I've stayed at. I'd prefer Hotel Godin.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:12 AM

Wow:
So where did you end up staying? Le Germaine or somewhere else?
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:54 AM
wow

Brahama: I am not going to Montreal until the end of August. I will be staying @ Le Germain. It sounds wonderful. The only thing I do not like is that Le Germain has valet parking. I hate valet parking b/c I don't like to stand around waiting for somebody to go & get my car! Parking is $23/day @ Le Germain & I do not know how that compares w/ other horels in the area.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM

Lemmonjello:
I just received an email from Hotel Godin with very reasonable prices, but informing me that their bar was closed and there were no food services besides the continental breakfast.

Was that the case when you stayed there? With the fine jazz music that accompanied the webiste, I was sure this would be a happening place! I was disappointed.

Wow:
Darn - now I'll have to wait until you get back to hear about le germain. May I ask, where are you staying in Quebec? (with visions of sugar-plums dancing in *your* head)
Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:00 AM
wow

Brahmama: I'm not going to Quebec City! Just Montreal for my August trip. But, I love Quebec City & hope to get there soon.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM

And there you were giving me a hard time about not going to Quebec. BAD WOW. BAD WOW.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
wow

If I could go in August, I would! But, for you, Brahmama...you MUST go...for the snow & the romance....You will be happy that I gave you such a hard time about Quebec City!!! When you get there, you will go "Wow!Thanks, Wow!" & laugh your head off!
Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:54 PM

wow, you can call from your room and tell them you will be wanting your car and when you come downstairs, it will be waiting.
The minute you drive up to the door, they are opening your doors and helping you.
The service at Le Germain is perfect

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO