Search

Trip to Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Toronto

Hello guys, I'm new to the Forum.

I'm planning a trip with my wife for Late January. We'd like to check on Canada and USA. Mostly Toronto Area and NY area in both countries. So i was planning something like flying to Toronto and making it my headquarters. From Toronto i'd like to check the lakes around it and any other nice natural areas that u guys can point to me. Some questions tho...
1) I know february is still winter, and it's really cold, but how bad can that hinder my trip? Neither of us bother with cold weather, we in fact enjoy it.
2) Is it possible to make a day trip to ottawa? or it's too far ? How many hours driving between toronto and ottawa?
3) if ottawa is too far to go driving would it be better to fly there instead and spend a night there? I heard a lot about toronto but don't know much about ottawa.

Ok we'd spend 3 Nights at Toronto (4 if we include a day trip to Ottawa), then on the morning of the 4th (5th) day we'd drive to Niagara and spend the day there. How long is the drive between Niagara and Toronto?

Now another big question hehehehe. The Plan now was to drive from Niagara to Washington DC, but i have no clue on how many hours i'd need for this. Any hints? If it's too bad then I'd just spend the night in Niagara or Toronto and then Fly to D.C. the Next morning.

After that things get simpler and i don't need to bother you guys with that. Unless anyone has any nice sigts u'd want to point me to on the Washington / NYC route.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 09:04 AM

From your address, I gather that you're from Brazil. Will this be your first visit to Canada?

It certainly will be cold, especially for someone from a tropical climate, but if you dress warmly, it can be enjoyable. At that time of year, the temperature in Toronto will likely be anywhere from -5C to -20C. In Ottawa, perhaps as cold as -25C or lower.

Ottawa is not a day trip from Toronto unless you fly (flying time is just under an hour, but you must add time to get to the airport and waiting time to that). The train takes about 4 hours, and driving is about 4 1/2 hours without at stop. If you are not used to winter driving, I wouldn't advise it.

That said, I think that Ottawa is worth an overnight visit. Winterlude, a celebration of winter and Canada's second largest winter festival after the Québec carnival, takes place next year from 3 to 19 February. It's certainly worth visiting. Here's the official site: http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/wint...dex.asp?bhcp=1
The Washington Post had a piece on it last week: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111800444.html
Once again, dress warmly, as most of the events are outside.

Toronto has lots to see and do in the winter, and much of the downtown is linked by underground passages so you don;t always need to go outside.

To Niagara Falls, it's about an hour and a half.
Forget about driving from Toronto to Washington. It's a 10 hour drive without stopping, and you can run into bad driving conditions at that time of year. Flying is the answer.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot laverendrye, u pretty much answered everything i needed to know.

Yeah i'm from Brazil but been to USA under snow 3-4 times before so i know the feeling. Was just wondering how much worse canada would be.

Ok, So i'll be forgetting about all the car trips. I didn't think about the driving with snow scenario and i have no experience with it.

Think probably best thing is to Arrive in Ottawa then (I'll check if tere ae direct flights) stay a night there then head to Toronto where i can stay 3 more nights. Then I'd head to Niagara for a day (Think sleeping there won't give me much, right? I can prolly see everything in a day or so, since i guess most water related attractions won't be open cos of the winter.) and then Head to Washington for the USA part of the trip.

Any tips about Outdoor places like lakes / mountains in / near toronto worth seeing?

And thAnks again for the reply. I appreciate the help.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:26 PM

I do not think there are any flights that are direct to Ottawa from Brazil. Air Canada flys non-stop Sao Paulo to Toronto (overnight) and you can easily conect to Ottawa. After your time in Ottawa you could fly back to Toronto or take the train (Viarail.ca) or Bus (Greyhound.ca) to see some snow- covered countryside.

There is no topography worthy of the name "mountain" close to Toronto but there are some nice city parks within Toronto that you can reach by subway or bus. Toronto is on a very large lake. The harbour may be frozen in February (which would no doubt be an interesting sight to you) but the open areas are always ice free. You could ride the ferry to Toronto Island depending on ice conditions.

The problem for you is that the really nice natural areas like Algonquin Park, require a car, and I concur with laverendrye that long distance driving in the winter is very risky for those not familiar with it and sometimes even for those who are!

Niagara Falls can be quite spectacular in winter. You could rent a car for a day to go there but be prepared to cancel the car if there is a winter storm forecast. Otherwise there are lots of buses. Forget about the train because there is too little service.

It is a 90 minute flight from to Toronto to Washington. Don't forget that air travel can be messed up by bad weather in winter.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Ok so it seems to me that Toronto should be my pick then. Not sure if it's worth paying the extra money for another round trip plane ticket to ottawa just to stay a day there. Might use this money to have a bit more fun in Toronto itself and save some airport time.

Think my trip schedule would be 3 nights in toronto then, on 4th day visit niagara for the day and then back to toronto at nightfall to catch a plane to D.C.

Thanks for the tips Folks, u've been very nice.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Yes, your new plan sounds better. If you had more time, you could go to Ottawa, but to fly for one day would make it an expensive day.

If you aren't used to driving on snowy roads, it's a good idea not to do it.

Are you going to rent a car to go to Niagara Falls? Unless there is a major storm when you arrive, the driving to Niagara will be ok. It's a major highway and they keep it clear of snow and ice.

On your way back from Niagara Falls, you could stop in Burlington and have dinner at Water Street Cooker. It is in downtown Burlington and overlooks Lake Ontario. The views are very pretty , with all the lights over the lake.

As already mentioned there are some beautiful parks within Toronto, where you will be able to enjoy beautiful winter scenery.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Nandopo:

I think that your plan of flying from Brazil to Ottawa for an overnight stay is still a good one. I don't know where in Brazil you are flying from, but if Sao Paulo, then it's a simple connection in Toronto. If from Rio, you can probably do it with one stop in Washington or Newark, which would fit your return plans.

From Ottawa, take the train to Toronto, which would give you a good look at the countryside in winter, including Lake Ontario, without the hassle of winter driving.

Winterlude is really worth seeing especially for someone from warmer climes, and there's nothing like it in Toronto at all.

Unfortunately there are no mountains to speak of in Eastern Canada, but the Gatineau Hills just outside Ottawa are quite attractive.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys guys, again.

Laverendrye think i'll have to be there beforemthe winter festival cos there will be a show i want to be at in Washington on Feb. 2 So i'd have to leave Canada on Feb 1 tops. I'm checking on the band's tour dates and saw a show in Toronto too, so might try to change it and check the show in Toronto. Anyway , if it's t stay one day only think I'll spend too much time / money on the trip to ottawa... But if i can find some more time to stay in canada then it might be worth it. I gave up on the idea of driving ... I'll write down the tip about the Hills and sure enough visit it.

Kodi thanks for the tips. I sure wrote them down and gonna check the places when i'm there. I was planning to go from Toronto to Niagara by Bus, since i gave up on the car. Since i won't be driving the rest of the trip going by bus can save me some time from rying to find parking space. Just have to check the hour of the last bus back to toronto since i'd like to stay a bit at night to check on the Falls Lighten up.

Again, Thanks a lot for spending your time trying to make my trip better guys. I really appreciate it.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 02:58 PM

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Enjoy Toronto and Niagara Falls and remember to dress warm!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:09 PM

When in Toronto, check out College and Dundas area west of Ossignton - this is the Brazilian/Portugese area of town.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Bear in mind that a temperature of -20C to -30C is quite possible at that time of year. You will have to equip yourself with good winter clothing if you are to spend any time outdoors.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Average Toronto weather in January is 23F to 39F.