2 weeks in Ontario

Jun 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

2 weeks in Ontario

My parents had planned a house exchange in Ontario for two weeks in August and we planned to go with them. Their trip was cancelled because of illness but we have decided to go to Ontario anyway. But we have no guidance on what to do.
We have booked a five day canoeing trip in Algonquin park bang in the middle of the trip. Our flight is from London to Ottawa.
Any suggestions for what else we should do?
Should we rent a car or relay on public transport?
How much time should we spend in Toronto? Ottawa?
Is there anywhere else worth visiting on the way to Algonquin Park?
We are in our mid twenties and on a budget.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Martina
Jun 30th, 2005, 05:10 PM
BAK

How would you get from Ottawa to Algonquin without reneting a car?

Here's one suggestion.

A couple of days inOttawa with no car.
Rent the car and drive to Algnquin -- seems silly to leave the car empty for five days, but maybe that can't be helped.

After the canoeing, drive to Toronto.

While based in Toronto, spend a day at Niagara Falls.

After a few days in Toronto, drive back to Ottawa, return the car, and fly home.

By this time you'll have seen rural Ontario, Urban Ontario, Political Ontario, lots of nature, and generally had a good time.

BAK
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.
Would it be worth making a stop over from Toronto to Ottawa?
If so, where would be worth stopping?

Many thanks

Martina
Jul 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM

I like BAK's plan. A possible stop on the way from Ottawa to Algonquin have a look at the Bonnechere Caves http://www.bonnecherecaves.com/ I went there as a child and enjoyed the visit. Leave Ottawa early and take your time getting to Algonquin. Just stop and investigate whatever strikes your fancy at the time. The drive through the Ottawa Valley is quite pretty.
Jul 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM

Returning from Toronto to Ottawa, Kingston would be a good place to stop or stay over. You will find a good number of suggestions on earlier threads for a scenic route from Toronto to Ottawa which avoids Hwy 401.

Search under Picton, Kingston, Gananoque and Merrickville.
Jul 1st, 2005, 10:56 AM

A visit to Stratford Ontario is well worth the trip for theatres, food and the countryside north of Stratford.
Stratford is an hour drive west of Toronto.
Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:46 PM
nkh

Within Toronto you can probably rely on public transport, but even some of the more outlying sites are hard to get to - Toronto is quite spread out. Between your different destinations the car is going to be a must. Be prepared for the distances - as a reference, my (English) husband was confused on reading his first Canadian map to figure out that Algonquin park is approximately the size of Wales........ and noone lives in National Parks in Canada, unlike the UK (so make sure you bring everything you need with you to Algonquin, because the canoe trip really will be throught wilderness)

If you are considering trips from Toronto and have a car, I would be remiss if I did not second the suggestion about Niagara Falls! They really are amazing. Take the Maid-of-the-Mist. I didn't believe it was worth it and boy was I converted

They are 1-1.5 hours drive from Toronto. On the way, or on the way back, Niagara-on-the-lake is a pretty little town, and the Shaw Festival located there is an alternative to the Stratford Festival. There are wineries in the area that have excellent (although expensive) restaurants and interesting tours and tastings that are either free or moderately priced ($5?). Hillebrand is one winery that I have been on tours of that I enjoyed.
Jul 4th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

I will definately take in Niagra, and we've now decided for definate to rent a car.

I look forward to the trip. Thanks for your help.