Toronto Visit

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto Visit

Hi

In the first part of June we're planning on visiting Toronto for a few days. We'll be looking for some recommendations on where to stay, what to visit, and some good places to eat.

We realize Toronto is BIIIG but we're hoping to find some reasonable lodging (if at all possible).

Thanks in advance.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Depends on what your budget is.

Try the Quality Inn on Bloor in the Yorkville/U of T area or Cambridge Suites Hotel in the heart of the downtown core.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:51 AM

I have stayed in both the Royal York and the Holiday Crowne Plaza.

I like them both, but the rooms are better at the Crowne Plaza. They are both located close to one another.

I am not sure if you are driving or taking the train. There are many packages available.

As far as restaurants....each and every time I go to Toronto, we eat at the Kit Kat Klub. It is across from the theater. Perfect place for families. Price is reasonable. I love it. You will not go wrong.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Let me correct myself. It is not the Crown Plaza, but the Hotel Intercontinental. Be sure to ask for a corner room. What a view. The rooms are large.
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM
LN
Original Poster

We'll be driving as we're leaving the washington DC area and heading up to Dearborn MI and then across to Toronto. We'd like to stay in a nice area (as there are some not-too-nice areas in DC) and use the subway to sightsee.

Are there any must see and must dos?
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Where are you staying in Dearborn?

I am serious about the KIT KAT rst. It is great. Don't believe they have a web site.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:02 AM
BAK

Kit Kat does have a web site; it's just buried somewhere.

I'll dig it up and post a link here.

As for hotel locations; there's a thead kicking around about Jarvis and Dundas; that's about the worst, and it still is fine by me.

Most central/downtown Toronto hotels are in good locations, and you can walk back happily late in the evening from dinner, etc.

"Reasonable" is a funny word. Compared to New York City and Paris, or compared to some small cioty woth little tourism?

Delta Chelsea and Holiday Inn of King are good bets for tourists in the mid-range.

BAK

BAK

Old May 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM
LN
Original Poster

Hi again

Tina - we'll be staying at Marriott's Courtyard in Dearborn. It's not as expensive as the Hyatt or the Ritz but they're comfortable. And thanks for the thumbs up on the Kit Kat Klub too!

Bak - thanks for bringing up that info. We've a number of $$$$ hotels in DC but we prefer to stay in more middle of the road priced hotels when we're travelling. This trip is not charged to the corporate account. Another thing (or problem too) is that we'll be driving and we've wondered how parking fees are within the city or if we should consider a hotel on the edge of the city and take the subway in.

Again, your help is really appreciated.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:20 AM

Just out of curiousity, did you try the Ritz? They run a lot of specials. It is wonderful and worth it. I have stayed there once and would def. go back.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:28 AM
gdm

Consider using priceline for a Toronto hotel. Visit biddingfortravel.com for advice and recent winning bids. It works!
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:32 AM
BAK

The rally expensive hotels are the Four Seasons, King Edward, Royal York, Park Hyatt, and Windsor Arms.

Sheraton, Hilton, etc. are priced in the upper middle, just like most places.

A lot of people think Marriotts are priced fairly, adnt he marriot Courtyard on/just off of Yonge Street seems popular by peopel wathcing their budgets but not trying to find the absolute lowest price. Easy parking there.

Toronto parking is medium expensive, but hotels usually have reasonable deals. You can leave your car parked for several days, rhater than taking it in and out during the day, because there's so much to see that is foot-distance, and the subway system works well.

Easiest parking, lowest price, OK public transit, is the Four Points Sheraton on Lakeshore Blvd. Queen streetcar is a block away, and takes you right downtown. It's a motor-hotle kind of hotel, with a parking lot in front and some motel-style rooms with direct doors.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM

I stayed at the InterContinental last weekend -- $289Cdn/nite and everything you could possibly ask for in a downtown hotel. Restaurant row on York St. was fantastic.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
BAK

The Intercontinental on Front Street, next to the convention centre?

And was York Street really King Street? There's a few restaurants on York (Bardi's and the Keg both serve excellent steaks, come to think of it), as does the Japanese restaurant inside the end of the Royal York that touches York Street. And a block from there is the Canyon steak hose.... I'm starting to get very, very hungry.

And jealous about Barberians. And a partner had a great lunch at Ruth's Chris this week, while I stayed here and typed words into a computer. I guess I do have a jealousy-related beef. (sorry)

BAK
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:53 PM

It is the intercontinental on Bloor Street.

Here is the web site. www.ichotelsgroup.com

Royal York is the Fairmont Royal York, on York Street

Web site: www.fairmont.com/royalyork

Let me know what you decide.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Amy

I had a terrific time in Toronto in June of 2004. Here's a trip report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34505548 and there are some pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg.
(Just copy and paste and to the Toronto and Niagara album!)

Happy trails!
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:18 PM

For reasonable lodging, try the Bay Bloor Executive Suites. All rooms have a kitchenette. It's very clean, and located in a very nice, upscale neighborhood. It's only one block from Yonge St. and the subway.

Have fun!