Reload this Page >

Quality Hotel Downtown Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Liliam

Does anyone know about the Quality Hotel Downtown in Toronto? Is is in a good and safe location? I have a reservation for this hotel for October.<BR>Thanks a lot for any help.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Paula

I have not stayed at this hotel but I am familiar with the location. The location is good to the extent that it is within easy walking distance of the subway and various sights. However, I would also describe its location as seedy. <BR><BR>There is a great posting by Kate dated 08/13/02 on a thread entitled "Toronto in September". In this posting Kate provides excellent guidelines regarding Toronto hotel locations - recommended reading.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Liliam

Thank you very much for yr help. I am checking now the Marriot Eaton. I think is a good option, dont you??

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Rog & Jim

Who the heck is this Paula. She sure is NOT from Toronto.com? <BR><BR>The Quality Inn downtown is in one of the most exciting neighbourhoods of Toronto. Yes, there is a men's mission across the street, but this is downtown, for goodness sake. It is NOT a seedy area. It is one of the highest rent areas, with new condo developments, anywhere in the city.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Rog & JIm

Oh, I see that Paula has dropped the phoney "toronto.com" address and is completely anonymous at xxx@xxx. Real cool, there Paula. Who are you? Why hide? You do know the city, and your opinions are interesting, if debatable...why are you hiding behind anonymity?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Paula

Rog & Jim, I have never used a "toronto.com" address. <BR><BR>Many contributors to these boards chose to remain anonymous. I am one of them.<BR><BR>You have a right to your opinions, and I stand by mine.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Brian Kilgore

Liliam, now you've started it.<BR><BR>If people want to compare neighborhoods for sleaziness, I'd put the Eaton Center Marriott up above the Quality Hotel (assuming it is the one on Lombard) but in any case, both neighborhoods are interesting, good places for tourists, close to various attractions, good restaurants, live theatre, and more.<BR><BR>The Marriott is a much fancier hotel than the Quality Hotel, and the Marriott has more conferences, meetings, conventions, etc.<BR><BR>I used to live a few blocks from the Quality Hotel, and my wife works two blocks from the Marriott, so I know both areas.<BR><BR>If your budget is tight, make your choice based on price and you'll still be happy, I'm sure. If budget doesn't matter and you like to shop, pick the Marriott.<BR><BR>Hotel prices in Toronto are weord this year, and it may turn out that a special rate at the Marriott is better than a rate at the Quality Hotel.<BR>BAK

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:46 AM
Liliam

I really appreciate you help. I just want a hotel that is located in a safe place and clean, as I will visit Toronto for tourism and do not intend to stay in the Hotel. In these case I suppose that Quality Hotel Fowntom could be nice for me.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 04:45 PM
R&J

Pauline the Anonymous...I got you confused with someone else who was slamming Toronto and using toronto.com...I am no longer confused. You are the one slamming Toronto using the xxxx.xxx address. Much different.<BR><BR>Toronto is the 3rd safest city in the top 50 of North America (London and Edmonton rank 1st & 2nd). It doesn't matter where you stay, you will be safe. This is a very multicultural city, and you will enjoy the harmony of a great city unlike anywhere else in the world.<BR><BR>Quality Inn OR Mariott, both safe. Both downtown.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:04 PM
Paula

Liliam, if you decide to stay at the Quality Hotel Downtown I can recommend a couple of restaurants nearby as follows:<BR><BR>Mystic Muffin, 113 Jarvis (s.e. corner at Richmond) - very near the hotel - not fancy but a convenient place to pick-up a morning coffee and muffin (or other light breakfast/lunch) - nice, friendly staff.<BR><BR>Young Thailand, 81 Church St. (only a block west of the hotel) - this restaurant serves excellent Thai food at a reasonable price in a casual setting - the cashew chicken and the pad thai are always delicious.<BR><BR>Betty's, 240 King St. E. (just east of Sherbourne, less than 10 min. walk from the hotel) - this pub is very popular with people working in the area. The food is good and reasonably priced. In addition to the usual pubfare (chicken pot pie, burgers, etc.) their menu includes many other tasty items such as blackbean burrito, cajun chicken, etc. If you're looking for a casual meal, Betty's is definitely worth checking out. If you're lucky enough to be there on a warm October day, you may just find that their back patio is open.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:22 PM
Liliam

Paula, thank you very much for your help, as soon I decide the hotel which I will stay I let you know. Just one question, October is a cold time to visit Canada?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:58 AM
Paula

Liliam, regarding your weather question ... Weather patterns can vary quite a bit across Canada in any given month. For Toronto and surrounding area, October is not what I would describe as cold. As a transition month, October weather can be quite nice (and a little unpredictable). Generally, I think daytime temps are in the 14-18 degree celcius range, cooler in the evening and early am. Chance of rain seems to increase a little in October (so bring an umbrella) but there are still plenty of pleasant days. In early to mid-October its not unusual to receive the bonus of a day or two above 20 degree C (this is what I meant by unpredictable). You will want to bring a jacket though and perhaps a few layering options for cooler days (eg. a fleece vest and/or pullover). <BR><BR>As your trip approaches, its worth checking out a good weather website for the Toronto five day forecast. This will give you a better idea of what to expect during your stay.<BR><BR>www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca<BR><BR>Oct ober is a nice time of year to visit Toronto. The worst of the summer heat has passed and the nip of autumn is in the air!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:46 PM
JX

<BR>Hi -- if anyone's mentioned this, a thousand pardons, but hey, what about Quality Hotel *Midtown*? This is practically in The Annex -- a terrific neighbourhood, with very close subway access, shops & restaurants nearby, etc.<BR><BR>The rates are usually quite good ($125-$160CDN), and while the rooms are not fancy, they have been neat and clean the last 12-14 times I have visited Toronto in the past two years. Nearby Yorkville hotels charge three times as much, and while I'm sure there are more amenities at the swanky places, the location is much the same.<BR><BR>Besides, why not save some $$$ to spend on great food? Bar Mercurio is about two doors away. It's not cheap, but service is very good and the food excellent.<BR><BR>Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:08 AM
kate

I'd also recommend the Quality Hotel Mid-town on Bloor St - great location and good value. The Marriott Eaton Centre is a bit sterile, but if you've got a good bargain it might be worth it.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:42 AM
traveler a

I just got the Sheraton Center for $35 US per night on priceline.com. I'll be there the last week of October. I hope this helps you. Have fun.<BR>a new fodorite