Reload this Page >

Toronto/Theatre+Hotel in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:00 PM
cindy

Hi, I would like to surprise my daughter with a trip for her 16th birthday at the end of March. The main reason for coming will be to take her to as many shows as we can fit into a 4 day trip. We would like to know what hotels would be a good choice making the trip to the theatres as easy as possible. We would also like a hotel that would give her her own room or pull out since she likes to stay up late and my husband and I are early birds. Do you think that snow or cold will be a problem getting around? Price is not a concern.<BR>Thanks

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:27 PM
lolly

The Sheraton Centre has a hotel with theatre ticket package. We are going to see Mama Mia from good orchestra seats (2) and 1 night hotel stay for $179 CDN (about $120 US) The price depends if you want weekends etc.Check out http://www.onstagenow.com/LionKing/Tickets.html<BR>and scroll to the bottom where the Sheraton logo is. They also have Lion King tickets etc. You will pay more if you're going during the Ontario school's March Break (mar 10-14, 2003)

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Rog & Jim

Toronto Downtown Bed and Breakfast offers theatre packages, but only with VIP House Seats. Rates are $159US to $210US/night for accommodation, plus $80US to $90US for MMia or LKing tickets ($10 more on weekends). Visit www.TDBAB.com for details.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:11 PM
traveler a

We're going later this month $35 per room on Priceline for 3* hotel=--Sheraton Center. Bought Lion King tickets directly from the theater for less than $35 per person. You could book separate room for her at this price. Enjoy.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:14 PM
cindy

Wow those are some great prices. Hope they last until end of March. Any idea what hotel would be the best to be able to walk to theatres? Or would I use public trans?<BR>Thanks Again

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Brian Kilgore

Toronto has three theatre districts.<BR><BR>In the "Entertainment District" there's the Princess of Wales and Royal Alexandra live theatres, the Tony and Tina Wedding Show, and Second City Comedy, and Roy Thomson Hall concert / symphony, etc. hall.<BR><BR>The Holiday Inn on King is right in the middle of this.<BR><BR>Then there's the Canon Theatre (used to be the Pantages) and the Elgin Winter Garden, both on Yonge Street, between King and Dundas. Eaton Centre Marriott is closest, but Sheraton Centre, Delta Chelsea, Colony, Metropolitan, Hilton, and some otehrs are very close (five-seven minutes by foot)<BR><BR>And finally there's the St. Lawrence Center and the Hummingbird Centre, on Front Street east of Yonge, more or less next door to each other, a block from the Novatel.<BR><BR>In addition, there are smaller theatres scattered around the ceter of town.<BR><BR>If I was with a 16 year old, I'd consider the Holiday Inn on King, the Crowne Plaza, and the Fairmont Royal York, for a mix of theatre-access location, general fun and ambiance and memorability, shopping, etc.<BR><BR>But with cabs, the subway, good shoes and a warm coat, any good hotel from Bloor on the north to Front Street on the south, between Jarvis on the eat and Spadina on the west, would be fine. I'd stayyu of the lakeshore and Queen's Quay in March -- to cold and windy, which eliminates a Radisson and the Harbor Castle Westin.<BR><BR>These Priceline rooms at the Sheraton seem too good to pass up. Nice hotel, excellent location, etc.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:49 PM
cindy

Brian, Thanks so much. When I was looking at the tour books I thought that the theatres were in different places. You have helped very much. Am I correct in thinking that the best way to travel between these theatres is by caat night)? Let's say we see a show in one area one night but want to go to a different district the following night. Or an afternoon show then an evening show. I never looked at the Holiday Inn but I will now. Thanks Again

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 01:23 PM
traveler a

Hi the Sheraton runs a free shuttle to Mamma Mia and Lion King.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:00 PM
cindy

Ah another great suggestion. Now to see if they have connecting rooms or suites.<BR>Thanks traveler

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:13 PM
cindy

Thanks to everyone. <BR> The Sheraton did have great rates for connecting rooms. Question. Is it safe to walk back to the hotel after the theatre at night? Are the subways and PATH safe at night after a show? Should I take one form of transportaion at night over another? <BR>Thanks.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Dalia

Yes, it's perfectly safe to walk from the Lion King / Mamma Mia / Roy Thompson Hall to the Sheraton via King St., University Ave., and Queen Street or Richmond. You don't need a taxi after the performance. And the same for the Holiday Inn on King - it's just block away on the same street as the theatres. There is nowhere to take a taxi. And it's fine to walk from the Canon / Elgin Theatres on Yonge Street to either of these hotels. There are usually quite a few people walking out of the performances. Don't worry at all.<BR><BR>Hope you have a great time. Both of these shows are excellent!