Toronto tourism slump means bargains

Aug 13th, 2004, 09:03 AM
BAK
Original Poster

Toronto tourism slump means bargains

A friend in New Orleans just sent me a note saying the Sheraton Centre hotel in downtown Toronto has $48US rooms for sale, August 22 - 26 and September 12 - 21. Track down the Sheraton Centre Toronto web site for more info.

This is a good hotel in a good location, and there's no downside to the deal as far as i can tell.

Summer in Toronto this year is very quiet. There's lots of tourists, including many from England, but it's not jammed like it was a couple of years ago. The big theaters have special price deals, some restaurants have deeply discounted specials, etc.

One of my favorite restaurants was open six days a week, lunch and dinner, in the summer of 2001 and 2002. Last year with SARS and this year with the slump, it's open only for dinner, Tuesday through Saturday.

And, in broad terms, the weather stinks. Pouring rain, again, as I type this.

But Toronto has miles of tunnels, and it's dry down there, plus stores sell umbrellas.

So, come and take advantage of the low prices.

BAK

Aug 13th, 2004, 09:42 AM

I agree. We played tourists in our own city last weekend and bought the theatre promo package - tickets to Hairspray, dinner (choice of several restaurants) and tickets to a Jays game, all for $99 each. The tickets to the play were excellent - I later checked and the cost would have been $94, I believe, if we had paid full price. We chose the Duncan Street Grill for dinner and had a very nice 3 course dinner. We're giving the tickets to the baseball game to my niece and her boyfriend from BC - they arrive tonight. So all around a very good deal.
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Susan,
Plan to be in Toronto next month (Sept) and was wondering where I could find the promo pkg theatre tickets. Have looked a few places online but havent found what you're describing.
Thanks in advance..
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:05 PM
BAK
Original Poster

Try www.mirvish.com for theatre deals, but you may not find the dates you want. Program ends in early Septermber, but there probably will be a replacement after that.

BAK
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:09 PM
BAK
Original Poster

I MISLED YOU ALL!
My apologies. I just went back to my message from my friend, and it turns out the Sheraton deal is $48 per person, per night, US dollars, or it's about $100US or $135cdn for a room for two people.

That's still a very good price for downtown Toronto in tourist season, but not the really great deal I thought it was.

BAK

Aug 15th, 2004, 09:31 AM

BAK,

It was your good intention to spread out the words of good deals that counts! =D>

K.
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Juinmi, we bought our tickets over the web - mirvish.com - but BAK is right. The dates may not be right, but who knows, they could extend.
Aug 15th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Actually, BAK is not far off. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com where folks are reporting winning bids of $52-55/night per ROOM at the Sheraton Centre for upcoming dates with Priceline. Not to mention other amazing bargains.