Toronto Saturday breakfast

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:02 AM
BAK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto Saturday breakfast

Suggestions welcomed for a location for a relaxed, long, Saturday breakfast in downtown Toronto. Walking distance to the Sheraton Centre.

Reasonable prices, and quiet enough six people can talk around a table. Four out of towners are world travellers, (one a National Geographic photographer) so I'd like a place that shows Toronto in a good light.

BAK
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM

I know three great places for breakfast but they are all at my end of the city - Etobicoke.

Wait a minute I just remembered "Mars" at College and Bathurst - not exactly right downtown but a lot closer than the places I am familiar with. Not quiet either or well set up for groups - sorry best I could think of.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM

The Mars (where I've been going since practically the day I was born) is a little far for a walk from the Sheraton Centre.

There's an egg restaurant (Eggspectations, maybe?) in the Eaton Centre fronting on Yonge, at Shuter. The Eaton Centre website will give you the actual name. Also, on Shuter across from Massey Hall, is Frans.

The Queen Mother on Queen and University might be open early enough for breakfast but just west of there on the same side of Queen (north) is a decent crepe place with lots of other things on the menu. It's not charming but the food is pretty good and Queen West is always lively (re the 'good light' issue).

Cora's seems to be opening up everywhere. Maybe there's one close by. Try googling.

I'm not sure if it's open on Saturday, but what about the Senator. There's also the Pickle Barrel in the Atrium. Not charming either but the breakfast menu is decent.

If you want to go a little farther afield towards the Market, there's Le Papillon and the Hot House.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
BAK
Original Poster

Thanks.

Over by the market might be worth putting my guests into a cab. I'll check the Hot House hours.

And I've forgotten about Eggspectations.

Sunset Grill at Yonge and Richmond is too plain, and I've decided against any Coras's anywhere, anytime. There's one on Peter Street, or nearby, near Wellington.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM

The Market area on a Saturday is always lively and fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
BAK
Original Poster

CONCLUSION

Just remembered Shopsy's has moved into the Sheraton.

Brobably where LeBifteck was.

Anyway, it seems like a good choice.

BAK
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM

I didn't know that, BAK. Geez, I'm old enough to remember the original Shopsy's on Spadina, right across the road from the other great deli, Switzers.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM

I went to Eggspectations last weekend and it was delicious but they do have a time limit for how long you can stay (I think it was 1 1/2 hours)
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 03:25 AM

There's a restaurant in the Victoria Hotel on Yonge that's open for breakfast.

Shopsy's new place seems to be part of the Quinn steakhouse in the Sheraton.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:49 AM

Almost all of the great places offer a Saturday Brunch, but they start at 11 or 11:30.. if thats ok take them up to Yorkville for an outdoor bistro...
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM
BAK
Original Poster

Finally...

I met up with my guests (they turned out to be hosts) in the Sheraton Centre lobby, after I'd checked out Shopsy's/Yes, it is attached to Quinn'ssteak house, where Le Bifteck used to be.

I offered three choices. The hotel dining room where blueberry pancakes are $18.

Or Eggspecations on the outer edge of the
Eaton Centre, Or we go to the St. Lawrence Market and see what we can fine.

One guest suggested Moonbeam in Kensington, and I said it was too far.

We decided on St. Lawrence Market.

The men in my four-person group are big time international professional photographers.

They looked at each otehr. Do we go back to our rooms and get serious cameras? One said no, he had his iPhone and the other said yes, and said he would catch up to us.

Once at the Market, we decided to sit outside at Paddington's. It was sunny and warm, and now about 9:30 am.

Service ws good, in the sense that the waitress fixed up the order she got wrong, brought extra water for tea, and kept the coffee cups filled.

I had the breakfast special sandwich instead of the Oink on a Bun, and that was a mistake. Not enough bacon coupled withmissed opportunity. Others found breakfast just fine,thank you..

Discussion of tipping: conclusion from me was to add the taxes together and give her that.

They chipped in our my part of the bill.

NEXT TIME, or for you readers. Think about a takeout sandwich and eating on the benches outside, instead of thesit-down restaurant. But we were holding a business meeting and sitting down was best for us.

BAK
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM

I'm glad you chose the Market area -- of all the choices discussed, I think it's the most atmospheric, especially on a sunny, summer Saturday. But I don't know Paddingtons. Where is that?
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Isn't it that place in the southwest corner on the ground floor - it used to be called Cheers at one time. http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/shop...ddingtons.html
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:38 AM
BAK
Original Poster

Paddingtons, main floor, south building, on Front Street, west side. Outdoor patio along Market St.

Access to inside seating via hallway / entrance on Front St. closest to Market St.

BAK
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Ah, so inside the Market then? Good to know!