1 Day in Toronto with Teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling with 5 of our students next summer and we will spend one day in Toronto. We arrive at the airport on a Tuesday just after 4 PM and leave for Stratford after lunch the following day. We will stay in a downtown hotel and walk or take public transportation while in the city. I know it's a very short time, but we'd like to give the students a brief introduction to this great city.

So, what should we do with our limited time in Toronto with 5 teenagers - most of whom have never been out of Florida? Ideas for hotel, "must see" sites, transportation, and meals appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Assuming they are theatre fans, have a look at the Broadway show lineup in the Entertainment district... since its next summer, who know's what will be playing... Currently its South Pacific, Jersey Boys, Rock of Ages, with Wicked starting in October...

The Hyatt Regency Toronto on King St is walking distance from many of the theatres and in a central location... across the street are some cool bistro restaurants... however many of the hotels are on public transportation....

On Saturday AM consider a stop at the St.Lawrence Market, a busy farmers market with a taste of the Toronto ethnicity... consider the delicacy of a peameal bacon sandwich, a Canadian favorite, or some baked goods and fruit...

OR... walk up to Queen St for some quirky boutique shopping along with a bistro lunch... there are countless artists, jewelry booths and fun shops that teens love...

Good luck!

The Chelsea Place on Yonge St is the Family place with a food court and near great walking and shopping for teens
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Sorry... I hit submit... The Chelsea Place is another popular hotel in the city...
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 03:09 AM

The best way to get a good impression of a city is to take the trolley. You can get on/off all day and they have good guides.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM
BAK

Time is very tight, obviously.

Friday afternoon, you can walk westg fromt he heart of downtown, along Queen Street West, from University Avenue ((it all depends where your hotel is) to Spadina, up Spadina through chinatown,. and then back toward University Avenue.

Can you give us an idea of budget and food tastes? Adventursome, or restrained?

Satuerday morning, the St. Lawrence Market idea is a great one. They'll see a variety of buildings, new and old, huge and tiny, and can get a breakfast sandwaich of thekind we've been eating for forthy -fifty years at the St.lawrence Market.

I took two Texans and two people from Kansas there a couple of weeks ago for Saturday breakfast, and they loved it.

BAK
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Agree with tovarich - take a sightseeing bus, go back to what the kids want to see but you really don't have much time ... your hotel should have information on tours.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:51 AM

The OP noted that they will arrive on Tuesday and leave on Wednesday by noon, so all the suggestions for Saturday mornings are a bit academic.

So, the question is what might interest teenagers on a weeknight and following morning.

With baggage, customs clearance and the trip from the airport downtown at rush hour, I wouldn't expect to get to the hotel before 6:00. I think that a visit to the CN tower and perhaps dinner there might make a good start (although the menu is fairly pricey). An evening ferry ride to the islands and back might be worthwhile. If the Blue Jays are in town, a baseball game at Rogers Centre could be fun.

For the next morning, there's not much time, but I would suggest a visit to the Royal Ontario Museum. There's certainly not time to see it all, but the dinosaur galleries are always interesting. Another choice might be a visit and tour to Casa Loma (a castle built by a turn-of the century tycoon who subsequently went bankrupt.)

I'm sure the students will want to shop at some point. The Eaton Centre is the place to go for a huge choice--however as others have pointed out, Queen Street West has many quirky boutiques and shops that can't be found elsewhere.

Public transportation in Toronto is good. It's one of the only cities in North America to still have streetcars, and a ride on the subway would be an adventure for kids who may never have experienced it.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:08 AM
BAK

I got fooled about Saturday by reading another response. Should have caught it.

Regardless, you can still go to the market for breakfast on a Wednesday morning. It opens at 8.

If you wantg to go to the Royal Ontario Museum, you can get there at 10, which is when it opens.

CN Tower main restaurant. Think $60 per kid, and up, but this also lets you get up to thetop as part of gthe meal price.

There's a million teen-friendly restaurants on the ground in the neighborhood near the tower.

Delta Chelsea in the real name of the big hotel. 20 millionth guest expected there today.

Are these Chattahoochee or Arcadia kids, or Tampa - Miami kids? That might shift the interest in a giant indoor shopping center.

All shopping-happy teens would enjoy a late-afternoon early evening walk on Queen Street West.

Any inteest in the Hockey Hall of Fame?
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

WOW! Thank you all so much. Your thoughtful suggestions have given me loads of ideas to begin to plan our all too short time in Toronto. Thank you!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM

My mistake... I was thinking of another poster when I wrote about Saturday... I'm getting old real fast... sorry...
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Take the ferry to Hanlan's point - you will enjoy the brief sailing out to the Island. Walk about 10 minutes ahead and on the right is the nudist beach. Your teens will love it.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM

merckxxx. you made me laugh. Obviously you are NOT a teacher of teens. My school administration would not be laughing, but I might become their fav teacher!