things to do in Toronto

Search

things to do in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
things to do in Toronto

my wife and i will be in Toronto 5/1-5/4, staying @Weston Harbour Castle. any tips re: what to do? we're planning to take in the Blue Jays friday afternoon, enjoy outdoor farmer's markets (st. lawrence?), enjoy the subway to outer neighborhoods and especially want to spend time in Little Italy! any comments on dinner @ le select bistro on rue wellington?

thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Hi sox,
There's so much here about Toronto. I think the best thing to do would be to do a search first, note some items of particular interest to you and then come back and ask for specifics.

We we have some wonderful neighbourhoods, and there are many festivals and special events. Check www.toronto.com and www.nowtoronto.com. You can pick up a free copy of NOW at just about any street corner and it comes out on Thursdays.

There may be events at Harbourfront and the Distillery District too.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Le Select used to get good reviews years ago, but I don't think it's supposed to be all that good anymore (since they moved locations). You might want to check on chowhound.com - I'm sure someone will give an up to date opinion.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
BAK

For those wondering what days those are, it's Thursday through Sunday.

St. Lawrtence Market is not outdoors -- or at least mostly not outdoors -- and Saturday is the best day to visit. Good spot for breakfast, too.

Toronto's packed with good restaurants -- Le Select, to the best of my knowledge, is still a good place to eat.

As for outer neighborhoods... you could go to the Jane Station on the Bloor Danforth Line, walk east to either Runnymeade (all "civilized" or continue east to High park, past parts of this giant park. If you like walking, when you get to the park itself, walk south through the park and take the streetcar along the Queensway to Queen Street and keep going back to downtown.

BAK

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:58 AM

We used to really enjoy Le Select at its old location, but after not eating there for several years, ate at the new location last fall and were somewhat disappointed. Maybe just an off night.

St. Lawrence Market is great although indoors as BAK pointed out. In summer they have a few stalls outside on streets. Harbourfront (area where you are staying) can be very nice for strolling if the weather is good, but doesn't really get going with outdoors concerts, festivals and craft market until the summer months. You may enjoy the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) depending on your interests - it's very popular. Other popular neighbourhoods - especially in warm weather when the outdoor patios are open (iffy in early May) are Greektown on the Danforth and The Beaches (or "The Beach&quot district of Queen Street East, as well as upscale Yorkville (not far from the ROM if you decide to visit there).
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM

For an interesting Saturday morning, consider starting at the corner of Spadina and Queen St.W.... in three directions are three different experiences... Kensington Market offers the european style shops and outdoor kitch you may be looking for. plenty to see and buy... a different direction takes you to chinatown for a look at some of TO's asian influence... and finally the boutiquey casual shopping and dining along Queen West... just a few blocks away is the entertainment district, a whole new experience... have fun!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the input!
any suggestions as to where the locals eat dinner in little Italy?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM

My favourite restaurant in Little Italy is Grappa, which is a bit at the west end of the strip (797 College Street, 416 535-3337). It's not trendy and has been there for a long time. Traditional and non-traditional Italian dishes and great bread. It was a bit old-fashioned in its decor but I understand it's been renovated recently.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:07 AM

Starting May 1 (till Sept 30) you can get a free ride in the new EcoCabs, (Thur to Sat from 4:30 pm to 12:30 am, Mon to Wed 10 am to 6 pm). Covers six to 12 downtown blocks in the downtown core with a top speed of 12 km/h I believe you can pick one up at Dundas Square, Dundas and Yonge across from the Eaton Centre south end.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:17 AM

Really? I didn't know that! Thanks, Sally. Geez, I've really got to get out more.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM

It was just in the Star yesterday, goddess, and is likely in the other papers today. The cabs hold 2 adults and one child under 12.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM

What to do in Toronto?

Any Montrealer will reply: nothing to do but sleep!

(Yes, it is a joke...)
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM

Well, it's like a joke...but without that annoying funny part at the end.

(OK, that's a joke too)
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM

The Distillery District is also an interesting area to walk around and have dinner. Old distillery buildings, coblestone roads, art galleries,etc.

If you like Greek food, consider the Danforth area, which has a great number of restaurants. It is the eastern extension of Bloor street and the subway goes there.

The area around the ROM is also nice. You have the university campus next door, and the upscale shopping on Bloor as well as our version of Rodeo Drive, the Yorkville area (home of Film Festival crowd). The Bata Shoe museum and the Gardiner ceramics museum are nearby.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

Sox, I just posted the 2008 Toronto Visitor's Guide. That might help you out.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM

<<Any Montrealer will reply: nothing to do but sleep!>>

Whereas in Montreal you can always go out and torch a few police cars and smash up some store windows.

http://tinyurl.com/4mt4j2

(Only kidding!)
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM

I like Le Select, even in the new location.

Note that Wellington St. will do just fine in Toronto, "rue" not required!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:40 AM
PLJ

Hi sox08,

I've been dining at Le Select for over 20 years and continue to enjoy it very much. I was there last week and had quite a lovely meal...

Enjoy your stay in Toronto.