Toronto 4/24-28. Weather, Restaurants/Bars, Must-See's, and Running

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Toronto for a conference at the Sheraton Centre Hotel Saturday, April 24-Wednesday, April 28. We are staying at the Pantages Hotel nearby. We won't have a lot of free time, so would like to know some great restaurants, bars, and activities to check out in our limited time. I am also a runner, and would like some advice on the most scenic places to run in the city.

We are 30-something, and like hip (but not self-consciously trendy) places to hang out. Love good food, but don't have the expense accounts to hit the most expensive places.

We would love to check out a couple of key places in town--I've heard the CN Tower mentioned a few times. What are some fun neighborhoods to walk around?

And most important, what should we expect, weather-wise, this weekend/early next week?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
BAK

Highs of 13, cloudy, may rain on Sunday.

There are many messages in the various threads about retaurants, attractions, etc.

Your hotel is across the street from The Top of the Senator, one of Toronto's best jazz clubs.

On Saturday morning, run from the hotel to The St. Lawrence Market and then east on Front Street to The Distillery District at Front and PArliament, and then go down to the LAkeshore and run back on Queens Quay to Harbourfront, and then back north to your hotel.

BAK
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:39 PM

In addition to BAK's very good suggestions, you may walk north on Yonge street (just a couple of blocks) to Bloor street and then proceed West along Bloor for some fine shopping. The area just North of Bloor - Yorkville - is quite trendy, and further west on Bloor is the Annex neighborhood which is also fun to walk around (lots of students from the University of Toronto give this area it's vibe). All the above have great restaurants for all pocket sizes. Let me know if you want recommendations for upscale ones.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your great recommendations! Mathieu, I'd love any specific restaurant recs you can provide for upscale ones. I'd like to make a reservation for Saturday night as soon as possible. I've heard good things about Nectar, Noce, Rain and Ultra Supper Club--any thoughts?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:00 AM
BAK

Ultra has an unmarked entrance, down an alley leading north from Queen Street West, near Peter Street.

The room is beautiful, but I have not eaten there. The shrimps served in the bar are perhaps the best I've ever eaten.
BAK
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Jonesey, of the four restaurants that you mention, I have only eaten at Rain (19 Mercer St. 416-599-7246). The food is very good and tastes great. Every plate is a work of art but thats beside the point. Not a place - or food - to eat every day though. About CAD 110.00 for 2. I could name you many that I've eaten at but since you say you won't have much time, I'll suggest just 4 that I think might interest you and are easy to get to and close to each other.

Down the street from Rain, the Rubino brothers (who own and run Rain - one cooks the other hosts) run another slick rest. called Luce (40 Mercer St.). I haven't eaten there yet but a colleague reports that her finicky palate was well attended to last weekend.

A favourite of mine is Avalon (270 Adelaide West 416-979-9918) where chef Christopher MacDonald serves up fresh seasonal food in comforting ways. About CAD 120.00 for 2.

The building across from where I work houses Canoe (66 Wellington St. 416-364-0054) which, situated atop the 54th floor of the TD Bank Tower, features contemporary cuisine with a slight emphasis on regional Canadian food - like caribou steaks and maple glazes - while affording a pretty view of the city and Lake Ontario. If you are a first time visitor to our fair city, you may enjoy this. About CAD 110.00 for 2.

Lastly I offer Susur (601 King St. west 416-603-2205) which offers contemporary Asian fusion food and is headed by our famous yet very level-headed chef Susur Lee. I love this place and have never had a bad meal there. About CAD 110.00 for 2 My opinion only speaks to the food and not to the service though I have never been treated adversely at any of these mentioned. Hope this helps and please report on your experience when you return.

As far as running goes, the Martin-Goodman trail is a city route for runners, cyclists and inline skaters. Ask your hotel for a route map. Also, take the ferry to Centre island and run along the waters edge there.

PS OK - one more resto. that I've just remembered that you may like : YYZ Restaurant (345 Adelaide St. W 416-599-3399) This is a pretty cool and hip eatery in every sense. Lots of stainless steel, plastic and a colour palate of white, even whiter, and neon green. I've eaten here twice (once including a closing dinner with a bunch of corporate lawyers) and enjoyed both meals. Not cheap : about CAD 150.00 for two.

PPS Wine wasn't included in any of the above though the taxes were. All have a decent cellar.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:10 AM

Some additional suggestions for shopping (sorry - mostly womens' clothes) and evening plans:

Holt Renfrew's private label is great for high quality suits at moderate prices (top floor of Holts).

Marlowe on Avenue Rd in Yorkville also has great suits and cashmere sweaters - a little more classic in style than Holts (think classic Armani at 1/3 of the price)

Femme de Carriere for stylish suits on a budget (they've started spring markdowns). Not as high quality as the first two mentioned, but good prices. This is a chain store with locations in the Eaton Centre, Holt Renfrew Centre and a few other locations.

For funkier clothes, try Mendocino (Queen St West of University and Eaton Centre), Wenches and Rogues (Queen St West of Bathurst),Comrags (also Queen St West of Bathurst) and TNT (stands for The Next Trend - in Hazelton Lanes).

For beautiful formal clothes (black tie, weddings etc) and some dressy day suits etc, try Price Roman (Queen St West of University). These clothes are stunning, beautifully made and very inexpensive for the quality offered.

Finally, one suggestion for Saturday night activities. If you like to dance, check out a club called Revival on College St (around the 700-800 block of College St West). It has "the Mod Club" on Saturday nights - very danceable music, 30-40 something crowd, hopping but comfortable (no attitude). Get there before 11 if you don't want to line up. There's a website you could probably find if you googled mod club, revival and Toronto. College Street is a good location for restaurants and a few smaller clubs, too, so you could eat first and then head further West to Revival.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:00 PM
BAK

I believe Wenches and Rogues is dead.

Much to the regret of customers and suppliers alike.

BAK
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies! I am off for Toronto and very much looking forward to my visit. I will post a recap of the places we visit upon my return.

Thanks again!