Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Pierson Airport to Downtown...most efficient transport to/from on a weekend?

Toronto Pierson Airport to Downtown...most efficient transport to/from on a weekend?

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:25 PM
traveler

We'll be arriving at Pierson airport in Toronto on a Saturday about 10:30am. What options to we have to get to our downtown hotel (theater district)? Our return will be on a Sunday late afternoon...what about our options at that time? There will be just two of us (adults), and just a carry-on sized piece of luggage to tote.

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Susan

limo, cab, shuttle bus

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:33 PM
traveler

What about comparative costs?

Sorry...I now realize it is Pearson airport (sp)!

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Susan

Aren't you the one who posted about an "anniversary getaway" weekend? Who care about the cost?!!! Go w/ the cab: it will be more than the shuttle but less than the limo (unless you get another couple to share the limo w/ you.)
I used to take a limo to PIA all the time when I lived in To. & surprisingly it wasn't that much more than a cab! Cab/limo wld. be a lot more convenient than the shuttle which stops @ various hotels. It wld. also be a nicer way to begin your "getaway"!!
PS where did you decide to stay?

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Susan

There are both limos and flat rate taxis at the airport. I usually take the latter (my company won't pay if the word 'limo' is in the name!). The cost from the airport to my house just east of downtown is about $37 - $40. There are areas just outside the terminal building where you line up - one line limos, the other for flat rate taxis.

There is a shuttle bus which you also can catch. I can't recall the price - maybe $15 / person? It stops at all the major hotels downtown.

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Gil

The cheapest way to get into downtown is by TTC. $2.25 exact change from terminals 2 or 3 will get you downtown in about an hour. The 192 Airport Rocket leaves the airport and heads to Kipling subway station. Take the subway to St. George or Yonge (depending on exactly where your hotel is) transfer lines and go south and get off at St. Andrew (from St. George) or King (from Yonge). Again, I don't know which hotel you'll be at so the stops may vary. Kipling, St. George, and Yonge all have elevators if the luggage proves burdensome. Check out www.ttc.ca for more info. The 192 route operates every day.

Check if your hotel provides a shuttle service to the airport. If it's free all the better, but if it's with Pearson's shuttle service the trip will cost about C$12, I think you get a discount for round trips, double check.

Taking a cab or limo, will obviously cost much more. With the Molson Indy going on this weekend, the traffic will make the trip just as long, if not longer, and subsequently more expensive unless you can work out a flat rate with the driver before you leave.

Jul 5th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Brian in Atlanta

When I travel to Toronto by myself, I always take the very comfortable, full-size shuttle buses. But if I'm traveling with anyone else, it's not that much more to take a cab directly to the hotel.