Toronto Hotels - Potential Strike

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Mark

Toronto Hotels - Potential Strike

Read Brian Kilgor's mention on this site and also saw in online Toronto Star today the potential for a hotel strike in Toronto.

Having once been a guest in a hotel (US) and unknowlingly getting caught up in the labor dispute with strike-breakers, picket lines, management trying to make do, I swore, "Never again!"

Anyway, today's Star indicates that Royal York is an immediate target (perhaps tomorrow AM) and Delta, Hilton and Sheraton employees are apparently ready to strike as well (article mentioned that negotiations apparently rockier than at Royal York).

In the final analysis, could all Toronto unionized hotels be struck, or do hotels sign separatge union contracts that do not impact each other so that the only ones that could be affected would be the above four?

Planning to visit beginning August 10 for a week and am wondering if I should make alternate reservations now.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but would be grateful for some guidance.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:15 AM
darlene

Just what Toronto needs..

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Ariel

They announced a tentative deal was reached last night/this morning, averting a walk out. Employees are expected to vote on it Tuesday - the union leaders are supporting the offer and encouraging the employees to vote positively.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Stor...4-003/page.asp

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Bobby

Just one more reason to visit beautiful Vancouver instead of that big city wannabe Toronto which has the size, but little of the culture, of a great large city.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Susan

To Bobby - why would you feel it is necessary to put down Toronto to build up Vancouver? The post was about Toronto hotels, nothing was said about Vancouver. I love both cities - I live in Toronto, but most of my family are in the lower mainland. I don't understand this need of some people to be so negative.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Bobby

Susan - I feel it's my duty to warn people away from Toronto since they're so often disappointed and consider it representative of Canada, which it is not.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Susan

Have you led rather a sheltered life, Bobby - maybe never been out of Vancouver? I have news for you - Canada is a huge country. I wouldn't consider Vancouver representative of the country anymore than I would consider Moose Jaw representative of it. Yes, I'm talking two extremes, but Canada has those kinds of extremes. To say that one place represents the whole country is rather naive.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Bobby

Susan -sorry to disappoint you, but I have not led a sheltered life. I travel frequently on business all over the world. I am in Toronto at least 5 times a year (and travel regularly to Asia and Europe). Toronto is about the least exciting city I've been to.

I never said that any one city is representative of Canada, but Toronto certainly has a different feel than most other parts, and the people a different attitude. Many travel to Toronto thinking that because it is the biggest, it is the place they should go to experience Canada. I think that that is far from the truth. I think that there is a more unique feel in virtually any other city in Canada. Toronto wants to be a big American city, but fails in that it lacks the interesting architecture and culture. Just because you have a few Broadway shows running, doesnt' mean you have culture. Every time I get to Toronto (and its horrible traffic) I can't wait to leave and get back to the mountains and water of Vancouver.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Susan

Not disappointed at all, Bobby, I'm glad you travel so frequently. But I still wonder why someone would feel it's her/his duty to warn poster about staying in Toronto! Enough said.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Mark

Vancouver is definitely on my places-to-visit-in-the-future, but the immediate issue confronting us is a planned trip to Toronto.

It appears that the union and Royal York may well reach an agreement. But unresolved are the contracts between the union and Delta, Sheraton and Hilton.

So, let me reiterate, will the union be looking to ratify new contracts separately for ALL Toronto hotels, or, is it only the ones mentioned who could suffer a labor action this summer?

To put it another way, does ratification at these four translate into ratification at all other unionized Toronto hotels?

Thanks.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Flynn

"n the final analysis, could all Toronto unionized hotels be struck, or do hotels sign separatge union contracts that do not impact each other so that the only ones that could be affected would be
the above four?"

Mark, why don't you call the Royal York - they probably have a toll-free number and ask them directly. If they don't know, I'm sure they could direct you to the people who could answer your question.

Frankly, I agree with Bobby - I'm kind of bored in Toronto because I'm from NY and Toronto kind of reminds me of NY without the cool energy. Toronto does have some fun neighborhoods but it's still a city and they seem to be plagued with strikes lately. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, they had a garbage strike. Well, since I'm from NYC, it didn't bother me so much but still... It seems there's also so much noise, traffic and construction going on. Not relaxing. Hmmm, Vancouver sounds okayyyy.