Vancouver or Toronto in Winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I know I'm probably digging up an ancient debate about which city is better but I'm going to Canada in december with my family and was wondering which city is nicer in early december. One thing is certain, we'll be going to Banff after the week in the city, so these things are currently in each city's favour:
Toronto- Niagara Falls
Vancouver- Cheaper flight to and from Calgary

Anyone care to add on? Information on the attractions of both cities and the general climate in early december would be helpful =)

Just a bit to add on about my family's interest, Mother likes old buildings and old town markets (like those found in europe) as well as classical art, brother is keenly interested in nature photography (but we'll be getting a lot of this in Banff already). We also like a bit of forest hiking, walks that can be covered in a day.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, recommendations for other cities/places are welcome too! But places which have major airports would be more convenient
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
BAK

For some people, the fact that Toronto is a million miles from Banff would be a factor.

There's more nature to photograph in Vancouver than in Toronto in December, and the subjects are noticabley different than Banff -- mountains vs ocean.

Toronto could be well above frezing, or snow-covered. Vancouver wil be raining, probably.

If I had the choice of city, I'd always pick Vancouver over Toronto for a visit unl;ess I wanted soem specific Capital C cutural event like an opera.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM

"f I had the choice of city, I'd always pick Vancouver over Toronto for a visit unl;ess I wanted soem specific Capital C cutural event like an opera"

ditto!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM

I loved Vancouver, but if I was a real art aficionado, I would look elsewhere. I understand that Toronto has some great museums, otherwise one can never go wrong spending time in Vancouver.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I'm a Trawna boy and given your perameters and that you're definitely going to be doing Banff after a week, it'd make more sense to do Vancouver and front-load the travel.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Having lived through more than 60 winters in Toronto and the past 3 in British Columbia, I can tell you - Vancouver is a lot more comfortable. Having said that, it's true that Toronto might not have any snow at all in early December and might be okay as long as you're dressed warmly enough, while as another poster has said, it will probably be raining in Vancouver.
Niagara Falls is not at its best in the winter. They do have some festive lights that they put up; we went to see them one year. I was a bit amused seeing Santa's reindeer right next to the Bethlehem stable, and wondered if some people might even be offended by the juxtaposition. In my opinion at least, the Falls are nicer in spring or summer. Then again, so is everything else!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Are you kidding?

It is a no-brainer of a choice. There is a reason why only "Vancouver" among North American cities turns up in the ranks of "the top 10 most livable cities on earth".

Forget the fact that the average temperature in Vancouver in December will seem far more comfortable than its Toronto counterpart.

If you're really fortunate you'll see Vancouver on crisp, sunny days that will make for memorable scenery.

And of course Vancouver is far more convenient to Banff...

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM

3:50 hour flight from Toronto to Calgary - then 1:30 hours to Banff. That should answer your question.

Toronto in early December could be brown and just above freezing or ir could be suffering from freezing rain storms that are all too common, or it could be under 2 feet of snow. Vancouver is likely to be wet - a cold 5-10 degree wet, or it may be 15 and dry - little chance of any snow that will saty.

I HATE Toronto in the winter - especially mid Nov - mid Dec when freezing rain and no sun are the order of the day. Stay away from TO at that time of year.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM

Dec is not the best time to visit Toronto.... like what was said by many above... it's freezing cold yet you don't get that snowy winter feeling.

"Mother likes old buildings and old town markets (like those found in europe) as well as classical art, brother is keenly interested in nature photography (but we'll be getting a lot of this in Banff already). We also like a bit of forest hiking, walks that can be covered in a day."
- Montreal can be a good place to visit if you want something that reflects Europe. Again, weather is cold.
- The weather is not nice for thing like hiking.