Toronto hotel help

Search

Toronto hotel help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto hotel help

Me and my low 30's friends will be in Toronto in August and would like some help in choosing a hotel or area for a hotel. We will be going to a blue jays game and having our fantasy football draft. I guess we want somewhere not too far from the stadium but also wanted to be able to walk places to go out at night. We have a reservation at the Hyatt regency but are considering canceling and moving to the Sheraton.....any thoughts would be appreciated
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM

The Intercontinental on Front St. is right near the stadium, sports bars, pubs, a block from the Entertainment District, three blocks from Queen St W and three blocks from the Waterfront... anything else is just plain stoopid.... go there... trust me
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Is there still a hotel right at the stadium? Can't remember the name. It used to have a restaurant that looked out over the field where you could watch the game or batting practice.

What kind of rate are you looking for? There are lots of hotels near the stadium, bars, clubs, but prices vary. A less expensive decent hotel is the Strathcona. Easy walk (about 10 minutes) to the ballpark and other stuff but less expensive, I'd guess, than either the Sheraton or Hyatt. It's pretty much across the street from the Intercontinental but I don't know how those prices would compare.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM

The Hyatt on King St West is fine. Until recently it was a Holiday Inn. Intercontiental on Front Street is also fine. The Sheraton on Queen ( just a bit farther north & a bit east of the Hyatt on King) would also work for you & your friends.

There is also the Hilton on Richmond.
And, sometimes The Novotel on The Esplanade has really good rates. Novotel is just south of Front Street w/in easy walking distance of where you & your friends want to be. The rooms are small but do you care?

OB1
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 05:18 PM

staying at the stadium hotel is a HUGE pain, especially when there is a game... security is a hassle, crowds are disruptive... if there is an alarm anywhere in the stadium, even a prank, every room gets the same alarm... plus if you get a stadium view room, security comes to count the occupants and you can't see the game anyway...
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM

also, the Sheraton is farther from the Stadium, bars, and niteclubs...
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM

OK. But there are a million hotels in the area.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM

a million hotels goddess? I feel that I am only qualified to comment on the 30 that I have actually stayed at in Toronto... If someone wants to know the locations of hotels, they can just buy a map... I think we are here to help based on our experiences with these places, not just that they exist...

ps... please send me that list... my count is only 336...
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 04:05 AM

So of the 30 hotels you've stayed at in Toronto, you can only recommend one in the area? Usually responding posters are able to offer the OP a variety of choices depending on their location, needs and preferred rates.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 05:38 AM

I use hotwire and select Downtown East and Downtown West (I usually select hotels in the west area) My reasoning is I don't spend a lot of time in my hotel room. Hotels in the downtown core are close to either the subway or street car or within walking distance to where I want to go.

Just as a reminder - August 6th is a holiday in Ontario
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Try Priceline choosing Downtown South or Downtown north. Even if you end up getting a bargain that is a kilometre or two from where you want to party, public transport is very good and will justify what you are saving.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:32 AM

Just stayed at the Hyatt and it is a very nice hotel, lots of bars and nightlife nearby (Second City with a rooftop bar is directly across the street and offers a 20% discount to those staying at the Hyatt). We could see the stadium from the hotel which is roughly 4-5 blocks away. About two blocks closer is the Soho Metropolitan. Right near the stadium to the south is Steam Whistle brewing which looked like a good place to grab a bite and a few drinks.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:53 PM

We'll be in Toronto Aug. 30 - Sept. 2 for a family wedding. I bid on Priceline and got the Intercontinental on Front St. for US$100/night.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM

bizzyb,
That's great!
How far ahead did you have to book to get that terrific rate?

Love your screen name!

OB1
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks OB1.

I bid on Priceline and won this hotel on 07/02/12. I'm happy with it considering it's a holiday weekend and I needed two rooms. I did a lot of research about Priceline bidding using the betterbidding.com website.