Reload this Page >

HEADING TO TORONTO NEED HOTEL AND ENTERTAINMENT INFO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 09:10 PM
shelly

We are heading to Toronto at the end of november. we need info on the best hotels downtown without spending an outrageous amount. I also need help with entertainment theatre, food and other must sees we will be there for 3 days!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Dee

Toronto Tourism has good deals on Toronto hotels in the winter at a big savings over booking directly with the hotel. They are bed and breakfast packages at most major hotels. Since we live in the greater Rochester, NY area the brochure is included in our paper and I though I saved it, but can't find it now. Anyway, whatever hotel you think you might be interested in call the hotel for the rates, then Toronto Tourism. The number is 800-205-7638. <BR><BR>We have stayed in most of Toronto's downtown hotels over the years. The only one we wouldn't stay in again is Sutton Place. The nicest was Crown Plaza where we made our reservations through Toronto Tourism and were upgraded to a business suite. It is a newer hotel and the regular rooms would be comfortable as well. If you make your reservations through Toronto Tourism, you can also get tickets to most entertainment. Many times the theater seats are better than you can get on you own. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:17 PM
JCD

Shelly, If you could provide more details as to what your interests are and types of restaurant etc, I will try to provide some suggestions.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:09 AM
kate

There are some other postings with good hotel advice for Toronto, so you should check those out, but here are a few quick suggestions.<BR><BR>The Sheraton (city centre, on Queen St) and the Marriotts (Eaton Centre, and Bloor St) are very convenient, and quite nice.<BR><BR>A lot of people like the Colony and the Metropolitan (both downtown in Chinatown). I haven't stayed there. They're quite convenient to shops, restaurants and the subway system (although the Sheraton and the Marriotts have better subway connections). <BR><BR>A good budget hotel is the Quality Hotel Midtown on Bloor St West (near Spadina). It's very close to Yorkville (upscale shopping), a couple of great museums (the ROM, the Bata Shoe museum) and the funky university district (good for interesting budget meals, nice atmosphere) and very close to the two subway lines.<BR><BR>Depending on your tolerance for seediness, I would avoide hotels that are downtown East of Yonge (except those on Bloor St, like the Marriott) or on Yonge St between Queen (south) and Bloor (north). The area isn't dangerous, it's just got more than it's share of street people, prostitution, etc. (But the area includes a very vibrant gay community with excellent restaurants and interesting shops ... so this might win you over.) <BR><BR>Also, you should avoid the Sheraton Four Points (which sounds close to downtown but is actually right beside an expressway and can only be accessed by car).<BR><BR>There are a number of hotels on King St, Front St and the Waterfront (furthest south) - some of them have great views, but keep in mind that they are a little less central than the hotels in the Queen-Bloor/Yonge-University area. The area bounded by these streets is very central and good for shopping, entertainment, restaurants and museums. Beyond this and you might have a bit of a walk (5-20 minutes) to get to what you want to see, or to connect with the subway system (but King St West of University - eg the Holiday Inn - is good for theatre).<BR><BR>Check out What's up in Toronto (website), and pick up Eye and Now magazine when you get here.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Mike

What a great summary Kate.<BR><BR>I have stayed in the &quot;seedier&quot; part -- at the Delta Chelsea and the Marriott Courtyard -- and both were fine, but in a stretch of Yonge with plenty of street people, strip joints, and fast-food joints. OTOH, I walked this area very late and never felt it was unsafe.