Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which of these hotel's would you pick in Toronto and why?

May 31st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

I've narrowed down my selections for hotels in Toronto, but need your help deciding which one. The list includes the Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown, Grand Hotel Toronto, Novotel Toronto Centre and the Cosmopolitan Toronto Centre Hotel and Spa. I'm looking for a nice, clean hotel within walking distance to different attractions and in a nice area (I've read some areas get shady when night falls).

I've read the reviews on here, on TripAdvisor and Expedia but just want some last opinions before I make my decision.

Thanks
May 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM

The Grande is not on a particularly interesting street and yes, there are some homeless people about, but it's not dangerous. It's about a five to ten minute walk to the centre of downtown -- Yonge/Dundas Square.

I'm not familiar with the others. Can you give me the cross-streets?

Downtown Toronto is pretty safe and the streets are pretty busy, even quite late.

Another hotel you might consider is the Strathcona. It's in a good downtown location and the prices are fair, and it gets good reviews.
May 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

From Expedia:

Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Downtown - Peter St and Adelaide St
Novotel Toronto Centre - The Esplanade (between Church St and Scott St
Cosmopolitan Toronto Centre Hotel - Colborne St (between Yonge St and Victoria St)

Thanks for the help.
May 31st, 2010, 12:58 PM
BAK

Skip the Grande

Hilton Garden Inn (on Peter Street, right?) is near the CN Tower, Rogers Centre, and short walk to Harbourfront and the Art Gallery of Ontario, and lots of clubs and restaurants.

My office, for 15 years, was about two blocks away.

Cosmopolitan is surrounded by office buildings, five minutes walk from restaurants, clubs, and shopping, in all directions.

Novatel Toronto Centre is a couple of blocks south of the Cosmopolitan, surrounded by restaurants, about three blocks fromthe restaurant were Toronto-based Fodor posters meet once a year.

I like chains because I think they have better quality control most of the time.

Under 35? Hilton. Over 35, Novatel.

But it does not really matter.

BAK
May 31st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

BAK - so do you think any of the 3 mentioned (excluding the Grande) would be a good choice? If so, I'm making my reservations tonight.

Thanks again
May 31st, 2010, 01:57 PM

Stayed at the Cosmpolitan a couple of years ago (usally stay with friends in Toronto). We picked it for location and it's good. Easy walk to Distillery District, Harbourfront, St. Lawrence Market and Entertainment district (all of these maybe 10 to 15/20 minutes on foot). A little more to Royal Ontario Museum and Yorkville (guessing 30 minutes walk). Got upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was nice, modern, spacious although my spouse wasn't getting into the kitchy Asian/New Age decor theme they had going at the time (maybe still). I think the Novotel is in the same general area, a few blocks away.
May 31st, 2010, 03:12 PM
BAK

Any of the three would be fine, but I think there may be construction at The Cosmopolitan, turning some of it into condos.

Which leaves the two -- Hilton and Novatel -- and both would be fine, bearing in mind my age generalization.

BAK
Jun 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM
LJ

As a former TO resident, I wouldn't normally have any TO hotel experience, but very recently I had occasion to stay at that Novatel for a conference and I was pleasantly surprised. For a (semi-budget) chain, it was really pleasant. Quiet, within walking distance of a great number of restaurants and tourist sites (St. Lawrence Market,theatres, Hockey Hall of Fame). DH and I were very impressed with hotel service and ambiance.
Jun 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM

It is NOVOTEL not Novatel and it is hardly budget or "semi-budget" whatever that could mean. I have stayed in Novotels from Vientianne to Dubai and Hong Kong and they are great. The one in Toronto has one side (South) backed against a freeway which I would try to avoid. The Hilton venue is only about one year old. Stay away from the east side - just depressing (Jarvis - Sherbourne etc. and the bums can be a problem). I am always surprised about people liking the Strathcona - maybe it has been radically renovated, but it used to be where deportees were held until the procedures were complete and many windows had bars on them. The Novotel, HGI and Cosmo are by far the best choices.
Jun 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM

It's been quite a few years since deportees were held at the Strathcona; in the '90s it was a hotel on the airport strip where they held them.

Now they politely ask them to please show up for their deportation and send them on their way so they immediately disappear for good.

Agree about Jarvis Street - I think those places get bus tours.
Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM

I stayed at the Toronto Novotel so I can only comment on that one. I had a room overlooking a car park (I asked for a quiet room). It was a large room with a beautifully clean bathroom and massive flatscreen TV. The bed was large and there was plenty of wardrobe space.

The hotel is a 5 min walk from the main train station (follow signs for hockey hall of fame) and is in a popular neighbourhood. There are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance as well as the major downtown sights. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. As a solo female traveller I had no issues with safety etc.