Vail vs. Whistler

Nov 6th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Sally

Vail vs. Whistler

Please compare Vail with Whistler, both the skiing and activities (shopping, dining) for the non-skier during the day. Thanks!

Nov 8th, 2002, 12:29 PM
John

Sally:

Here is how I see it!
Vail:
More upscale accomodations
More mature crowd
Skiers with dough and furs
Great Skiing
Better Snow conditions
Great eating
Good Nightlife
Whistler
Excellent layout of Villiage
Great skiing terrian
lower elevation could be heavy wet snow
Younger( boarder) crowd
Better ski dollar value
Harder to get to from states
Excellent resturants
Hopping nightlife! Young!

Well thats a start!
JOHN

Nov 8th, 2002, 01:03 PM
ALF

You should pick up last month's issue of Ski Magazine, which had a feature article comparing Vail to Whistler (http://www.skimag.com/skimag/feature...326982,00.html).

Nov 10th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Waverley

Sally, you sound like my type of person. The family skis, I shop and sightsee. this way, the only thing I can break, is the bank balance! Both places have things for the nonskier to keep busy with. Vail is quite pricey but it is great to look at the beautiful galleries. From Vail, you can also drive to Beaver creek, Copper Mountain, and a pretty village, Frisco, with lots of galleries and shopping near Copper. Copper has less to do but Beaver creek is pretty and has also som nice galleries. Near Copper and Frisco is a big outlet village called Silverthorne. I think you can also get to Breckinridge from there but you will need your own car.Whistler has some good shopping too but you can't go to other places. They did have a paint your own pottery place there a few years ago, which I enjoyed, but I don't know if they still have it. Whistler is also cheaper, with less attitude.

For the skier, both places are excellent. They are my family's two favourite ski resorts. With Vail, you have to get accustomed to the altitude. That is not such a consideration with Whistler.

Nov 11th, 2002, 10:31 AM
carol

bottom line: $71/day lift tickets at Vail, $35/day lift tickets at Whistler. Plenty of shops, restaurants and other activites at Whistler; less crowded; less glitz; Canadian hospitality vs Vail condescending attitude....