Toronto Film Festival

Search

Toronto Film Festival

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto Film Festival

Has anyone ever gone to The Toronto Film Festival? It's on now through Sept. 19th.

It seems like there are a lot of ticket options, how did you choose among them? And did you see any good movies or stars?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
LJ

I live here in TO, right downtown, and find the buzz fun, but confess to never having attended the festival itself. But the stars are everywhere...

In TIFFs gone by I rode in a hotel elevator with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward and their dog-wonderful people, told me how much they were enjoying Toronto.

I passed John Travolta on the stairs to the washrooms at 990 Bay (the local restaurant that is the unofficial hangout for stars).

But better than that. I not only saw Pierce Brosnan, I saved him from certain death. One of the events of TIFF was being held near the university campus. I was waiting to cross in the pouring rain at a campus cross-walk when this man in a raincoat and his friend with a sharp fedora came up beside me and punched the button (which signals the lights to change...eventually).

But this handsome pair were distracted, and unused to the system. They both stepped out to cross, against the lights. I threw my arm out in front of the pair to stop them, just as a bus came roaring through.

It was only when we gathered our wits and the gentlemen were making grateful noises, that I realized who I'd whacked across the chest!

They tell me there are more civilized ways of making nice with the stars at TIFF (cocktail parties) but this is my memory.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

LJ - what a great story! I'm glad you're out there saving the stars. I'm in New York so there's lots of celeb sightings to be had here too.

But it sounds like one of the great things about the TFF is that the viewings are really accesible to most people, with reasonable tickets prices and such.

Anyone else have a good TFF experience to share?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM

I have participated in TIFF for a few years. I order a set of 10 ticket coupons ahead of time, on line, then once the tickets go on sale (it is quite a procedure) pick up my coupon booklet, select my choices, drop off the booklet and order form and TIFF processes my order. I have always gotten either first or second choice. Orders are processed by a draw process that gives everyone equal opportunity. It is very fair. You can go to the box office any day and see what tickets are available at the time, and there are rush seats, I believe at all showings. It is wonderful. Standing in line, you meet people from all over the world who have come to TIFF, it is truly international. I have met people from California who were seeing 30 movies over 10 days!! I don't try to see galas, or stars, I try to see really wonderful movies, that I might not otherwise see, that may never be released in North America. I am a fan of movies from India (NOT bollywood), Turkey, the Middle East, etc. In many cases, after the movie, the director, one or two actors, etc., are there to talk about their films and answer questions. If you like movies, you should experience TIFF.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM

I love the fuss and the fun -- the whole Y'ville area is so lively! We walked around there last Saturday night and it was packed and I was down there today too. I haven't seen anyone this year but I understand that Colin Farrell came into the Windsor Arms while we were in the bar having a drink. Is Donald Sutherland here? Because I saw someone who looks very much like him but I'm very bad at recognizing famous people. Last year we had drinks with Penelope Cruz. Of course, she didn't know we were having drinks with her -- she was being interviewed in Proof while we were there.

It's lots of fun!