Hotels, Etc. Near Molson Ampitheatre

Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Hotels, Etc. Near Molson Ampitheatre

We have tickets to see a concert in August at the Molson Ampitheatre. My husband and I are from NJ and have never been to Toronto (or Canada) for that matter and have decided to build a weekend getaway around the concert. Any suggestions as to where to stay, eat, drink, etc?
Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM

Here is a quick reply re hotels. You can also heck other threads for sites, resturants, etc.

Molson Ampitheatre is part of Ontario Place and is a short cab ride form downtown. There are no hotels in the immediate vicinity. It is walkable from downtown but most people would take a cab or transit. Thus, if you are going to cab/transit, there are many hotels to choose. Let us know your preferences and what else you would like to do to help narrow the recommendations.

If you are in Toronto on or after Aug 20, the Canadian National Exhibition (theex.com) is on from Aug 20 to Sept 6. Your concert ticket should include grounds admission to Ontario Place and the CNE.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I'm so glad I posted! We will be arriving in Toronto August 21st and staying until the 24th. My husband and I are both 30.....love to check out cool restaurants/bars, very big fans of all types of music. This Canadian National Exhibition event sounds like a lot of fun. Ticketmaster didn't mention anything about it when we purchased our RUSH tickets. Is the Molson Ampitheatre a part of the Exhibition?
As far as hotels go......price range probably no more than $150 (USD), something in or near the "heart" of it all, a view would be great, but not necessarily a necessity.
Thanks so much for your input! Looks like our vacation may take a new twist!
Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
BAK

It's hard to predict Toronto hotel prices this summer, but $150 US should get you a noce hotel.

Try to book fairly soon; hotels can be pretty busy during the CNE time.

To my mind, THE hotel for people thirty, sophisticated, from at least close to NY, would be Le Germain, on Mercer Street, between John and Peter.

Mercer is a block south of King Steet, and King has a streetcar service right to the CNE grounds, and then you walk across to your concert.

Think of the CNE as the biggest state fair you've ever imagined. Midway rides, and displays of refrigerators, and live cows and pigs, ...

Le Germain is a branch of a Montreal hotel, is new, modern, with-it, and Toronto's newest and probably best, boutique hotel. Right across the street from one of the city's best retaurants, but also in the middle of the entertainment district, where there are several dozen good restaurants, night clubs, bars, etc., and a few blocks from very interesting shopping.

I live a couple of blocks away, and was thinking the other night that if I won a lottery, I still would live in this neighborhood. Although I might move into a room in Le Germain.

Keep reading Fordors for the next few months. There will be lots of Toronto tips. www.Toronto.com has lots of info, plus links to other Toronto info. www.BrianKilgore.com takes you to my outdated web site, which has lots of tourist info that needs to be fixed up, but includes photos and tips on eating.

BAK
Mar 27th, 2004, 04:24 AM

The Molson Ampitheatre is part of Onatrio Place and is directly across from the CNE. There are foot bridges over Lake Shore Blvd connecting the two sites. I think your concert tickets gives you grounds admission to Ontario Place and CNE. Amusement ride tickets/pass are extra for EACH of Ont Place and CNE. The CNE offers a discounted ride pass purchased in advance which is available via Ticketmaster. BAK's description of the CNE being the largest state fair you ever saw is apt. Unless you are a ride and/or state fair junkie and given your limited time in Toronto, you may not want to spend most your day at Ont Place/CNE. On suggestion is to arrive late afternoon and/or stay for the evening post concert. CNE grounds close around midnight meaning you can go back downtown for nightlife if you need more.

BAK's recommendation to stay in or nearby the Entertainment District makes sense.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out what other major concerts are happening given most acts stop in Toronto. As you get closer to the date or when you arrive, grab a copy of Now, a free independent entertainment paper with all the club, comedy club, etc listings. Its website is either torontonow.com or nowtoronto.com.

The Boston Red Sox are in town when you are visiting. Even if you are not a baseball fan, many visitors make a stop at the Skydome as it was the first dome witha retractable roof. On a sunny day, there is something unique about sitting in the sun, watching slow baseball and seeing the CN Tower rise next door. Unless you care where you sit, seats are always available (unless the Blue Jays and its fans do a transformation) and Upper Deck seats are cheap.

In terms of cool bars/restaurants, this will change and it depends on your tastes and budget...and I'm not an expert on these...but let us know your preferences.

Great areas include the aforementioned entertainment district, Queen St West (anywhere west of University to Bathurst and beyond), College St West (west of Bathurst). These are all great evening walking areas in the summer when many patios come alive.