tide tables

Jul 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

tide tables

Hi, I need a little help interpreting the tide tables. I haven't experienced East Code tide tables, only West Coast. In Oregon, the really low tides are "minus" tides. I've looked around on the tide charts, but maybe not thoroughly enough. I don't see any "minus" tides there. Can someone tell me what constitutes a decently low tide at Hopewell Cape? Because I'm going to be there on August 13, and there aren't any minus tides. Should I be satisfied that it's low enough at 0.3? Thanks for helping a neophyte.
Jul 30th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Carwahl

Considering the high tide is 44 ft. you should be more than satisfied that the low tide is 1.0 ft (or 0.3 metres). Also that is the lowest tide for the month.
Jul 30th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am very satisfied....
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Hi carwahl,

Your post made me smile (in part to allow time while searching for just the right words).

This is probably the tide table for Nova Scotia that you have, but just in case:

http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...gion=5&zone=30

When you are standing at Hopewell Cape at low tide... the nearest water will be hundreds of feet away from you.

Six hours later you'd be UNDER 20 or 30 feet of water if standing in the same spot.

This is a phenomenon that Tillamook or the like just can't match.

Not only that, but when the tide comes in at Hopewell Cape it can be a huge surprise.

There is a bright yellow sign there that screams:

"Warning: you MUST be off of this beach by ___(time)___ to avoid being trapped by the incoming tide!!!"

Most tide-watching around the world is akin to watching waves in the bathtub, but in the Bay of Fundy it is more near to a fireman turning back rioters with heavy-pressure fire hoses.

The bay is just so unique in that you can dart well out onto the floor of the ocean in many different places at low tide.

Enjoy your trip and give us a report!

Aug 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM

I have a hopeful question (hopefully not ridiculous). I am going to be on a cruise, with nearest Bay of Fundy stop at Halifax, during the first week of September. We love to do our own cruise excursions. Would it be possible to hire a car and travel to a great spot to view this awesome incoming tide? If so, what is a good location, and how would you time it? I noticed on the chart Northwest Male linked, there are many time zones to choose from, what is the local time zone called? We will be in Halifax on Monday Sept 4, 2006.

Thanks in advance!
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:06 PM

Our time zone is Atlantic Standard time, we are 1 hour ahead of Eastern Standard time, so if it is 1pm in NYC, then it is 2pm here.

I think it may be a little too far from Halifax to Fundy, you certainly won't get to Hopewell rocks in NB, you will have to come back on a land tour. You will love it so much on your cruise, I am sure you will want to spend more time in the Maritimes.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:09 PM

To Joan,

I think I need a little bit more clarity as to how much time you're going to be in Halifax.

At one point you spoke of "during the first WEEK in September" and then mentioned (what I hope is merely an arrival date of) "Sept. 4".

I have conflicting visions going through my head. Some cruises just stop for a day or most of one, and perhaps you're in a situation where you'll be in Halifax for a few days????

IF you are to be in town for a few days, the FULL MOON is on Thursday, Sept. 7 and that would have tides at their most prominent.

Using "Cape Blomidon" as an example, and looking at tides for your "Sept. 4" vs. the full moon day of Sept. 7"... the tide differential (difference between high and low readings) is a max of 30.2 feet on Sept. 4 (which isn't so impressive by Nova Scotia standards) yet on Sept. 7 the differential is up to 40 feet.

I believe that you should consider that "watching tides" is a reference to leading a very slow life for a reason. It takes six hours plus to cover that difference and that equates to 5 to 7 feet per HOUR.

The most dramatic visual spot may be that of Hopewell Cape, which is waaaaaaay over in New Brunswick. Most impressive is to walk down and explore the tide flats at low tide, with the water there dozens or hundreds of feet away, then return to your car and go drive/eat somewhere and time a return for 6 hours later, to see the whole area under water.

If I were in Halifax for a short time and wanting the most vivid impression of the Fundy tides I could get, I would drive to one of the spots generally between Wolfville and Truro and time my arrival to match LOW tide. Then I'd go out and walk waaaaaay out into the surf where the water retreated when the tide went out.

IF you are going to be in Halifax for most or all of that "first week in Sept.", you might do best to take this day trip on Thursday Sept 7, as the full moon will help your cause then.

There are lookouts in the vicinity of Wolfville where you can stand at low tide and have an impressive view of just how far the ocean water retreats. If interested, you should appeal to others who know the area with a new thread here on Fodors for the exact spots to see.

Anyway, I first caution you to calculate how SLOOOOOOOOW even the highest tides in the world are. Most visually stimulating are the two extremes, but when they happen more than SIX HOURS APART, one must be really good to make the most of the wait time while remaining nearby.

Let us know if you are still considering...
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:23 PM

LissaJ and Northwest Male, thanks so much for the replies. I've been out of town, and just now saw your responses.

Sorry to be confusing: we are cruising for a week, from Boston to Montreal, but the stop in Halifax is Monday, 9/4 (Labor Day! is that a holiday in Canada?) from 8 AM til 5 PM.

I had this vision of renting a car and driving to Peggy's Cove (scenery I am told is a don't-miss), then driving to some point (Blomidon? Windsor?) where we could perch and watch the incoming tide (of course with whales and surfers riding the giant wave), before returning to Halifax. I now realize from your answer, that is not the way it works.

We could skip Peggy's Cove, if you think that would make the Bay of Fundy do-able. All suggestions are welcome!
Aug 9th, 2006, 12:47 AM

With only eight hours in Halifax, I would simply enjoy the sights of the city. You could rent a car and head to Peggy's Cove or simply take a tour bus or taxi? It will be a holiday in Nova Scotia and the highways will be busy and not much will be open with the exception of restaurants and bars. There may be a few smaller stores open downtown and museums.

You can also take a water tour out to Peggy's Cove, depending on the weather, may be more enjoyable. It leaves directly from the waterfront - look for Murphy's on the Water.

Aug 13th, 2006, 04:50 AM

Thanks Tanya! We will do as you suggest.