Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bay of Fundy - Novia Scotia or New Brunswick

Mar 25th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Sara

Hi, I am planning a week-long trip to the Novia Scotia/New Brunswick/PEI area. We only have a week and after reading a lot of helpful information in these forums, I realize that I probably shouldn't hit all three provinces in a week. So, I'm trying to decide which ones to go to. I'm currently partial to Nova Scotia because we'd love to see the Cape Breton area, but I was wondering if Nova Scotia offers an equally good view of the Bay of Fundy as New Brunswick? From Nova Scotia, can you also walk out onto the bay floor during low tide and see all of those interesting rock formation?

thank you in advance.

Mar 25th, 2002, 03:35 PM
MOLLY

hi...we did PEI last year and it is great.
The land is much different that in NB. so much so that we were shocked.
We have been to New Brunswick-Fundy Bay area twice...and the park and loved it.
We were advised, when there, that the views are just a spectacular from the NS side but you do not get to walk the tide areas as much.
Here are 2 paintings my husband did of NB.
http://www.simsstudio.com/OILS3.htm

We are going to Cape Breton this year.
Were I planning your trip I would do PEI and Cape Breton.
Here are a couple of our PEI pictures, if you are interested.
http://www.simsstudio.com/PRINCEDWARD.html

Have fun,
Molly
www.simsstudio.com

May 2nd, 2002, 07:47 PM
Elizabeth

Hi Sara,
N.S. is sooo beautiful! You can watch the tide when you're in Digby. We don't have the rock formations that N.B. has but we do have an island that surpasses most. That's right, Cape Breton. It's a must see. If you choose N.S., please take a drive along the south shore of the mainland as well. I promise that you won't regret it.

May 3rd, 2002, 02:37 AM
Molly

Another vote for Nova Scotia. I have visited all three provinces, and my favorite is NS.
Cape Split near Wolfville is known for its dramatic tide viewing. It requires a maybe 2-hr. hike and a consultation of tide tables. there are other good areas near here, and prob. elsewhere to view the effect of the tides without hiking.

May 13th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Christine Drabek

Hello, I am planning a four day excursion around nova scotia in mid september and i would love to get some feedback. Firstly, will it be very cold? and secondly, do you think this is enough time to explore the island? Is Halifax a "must see?" Much appreciated, Christine

May 13th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Tanya

September is a wonderful month to explore Nova Scotia. While it won't be beach weather, you will find it quite comfortable. Probably will need a sweater in the evenings. If you have never been to NS, I would say yes, make sure you do at least a day in Halifax and the surrounding area. You will need at least two days if you want to the Cape Breton Island - one for travelling and the other to explore.

May 13th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Bob Brown

I think the best place I saw to experience the high tides is Hopewell Rocks park south of Moncton, New Brunswick.
There are metal steps leading down to the ocean bottom at low tide. The area has those isolated towers of rock and dirt that the tide covers at times.

But there are several places around the area from which you can view the tides.

May 20th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Sara

Thanks so much for your replies! I have not checked the forums for a while and came back to so many replies. We are going to be going to Nova Scotia in early June (hopefully the weather will start getting warmer!). We are planning to stay in Annapolis Royal or Wolfville one night (any recommendations?), then Truro one nihgt and then haul it out to Cape North for 2 nights, Baddeck for 2 nights, Halifax for one night and then back to Yarmouth to head back across to Bar Harbor. Does that sound like a good plan? The one regret I have is not being able to spend more time around Halifax and the South shore, but we are very interested in the Bay of Fundy and Cape Breton. Which also brings up the question of rafting the Fundy tide. Has anyone done the rafting trip? Is it worth the time? (unfortunately there are not predicting a very high tide while we are there, according to the rafting trip chart in the Doers & Dreamers guide)

Thank you!