Reload this Page >

Thousand Islands

Search

Thousand Islands

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Marcia

Thousand Islands

Hi everybody!I'm going to Canada for the first time in August, with my husband and daughter. We are brazilian and the first stop will be at Montreal. We are visiting Quebec City and will drive to Ottawa and finally Toronto. We'd like to visit Thousand Islands and we don't Know if it is possible to leave Ottawa early in the morning, visit the Islands and then continue our trip to Toronto, or perhaps it would be better to spend the night there and drive to Toronto next morning? How long is the drive from Ottawa to 1000 Islands? And from there to Toronto?I appreciate any help. Forgive me for my english mistakes. Thanks.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Dave

Marcia, it's a do-able trip. It depends on how long you want to stay in Thousand Island. It takes about 2.5 hours from Ottawa to Kingston. From Ottawa, take Hwy 7 then Hwy 15. At Kingston, you can take a cruise around Thousand Island. <BR><BR>From Kingston to Toronto, it takes about 3 hours to get to Toronto on Hwy 401. Have a good trip in Canada.<BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Marcia

Thank you, Dave! I think I'll spend the night in Kingston, once it's quite a long way to Toronto and I guess we can enjoy staying there and know a little better one more city of Canada. One more question: will I get sick during the cruise? If so, I'll buy some dramamin, just in case...

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Judy

I think the boat cruise will usually be calm. You should be fine. Suggest booking balcony rooms at either Holiday Inn Kingston or Four Points Kingston for your hotel. Lots of fine dining options and shopping near these hotels. Holiday Inn next to Kingston 1000 Islands boat cruise docks and Four Points short drive away.

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Dave

Marcia, it all depends on the size of the boat. The bigger the boat, the more stable it is. <BR><BR>The following are websites of the 1000 cruises.<BR><BR>From Kingston, www.1000islandscruises.on.ca<BR><BR>From Gananoque,<BR>www.ganboatline.com<BR><BR>There are 1 hour and 3 hour cruises. I would recommend the 3 hours cruises if you have the time. The 3 hours cruises make a stop at Boldt Castle on Heart Island. <BR><BR>Please note that if you don't have visa to US, you cannot go up on that island. Heart Island is in the US territory and charge an admission price of US $4.75 per person. The boat make a brief stop at Heart Island to drop off and pick up passenger. You do not have to get off the boat at Heart Island. You get a good view of the island from the boat without actually going on the island. <BR><BR>Have a good trip.

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Sherry

Marcia, <BR>Just a different suggestion about driving from Ottawa to Kingston. Take highway 416 South down to the 401, then the 401 West to Kingston. Much quicker and all four lanes now. Takes approximately 2 hours. <BR>Highway 7 & 15, as previously recommended are all 2 lane highways and can be quite slow with lots of traffic depending on the time of day. Enjoy Canada! Some fo the best times in Kingston are spent wandering around the waterfront, have lunch, and relax! Also Gananoque is another little town that many tourists go to for boat tours etc. It is also "the thousand islands".

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:36 AM
LJ

KIngston is a great base for exploring the 1000 Islands area. It is also a charming university town with historical interest. If you are looking for accomadation that is not a chain, try The Hotel Belvedere. Also, visit Chez Piggy Restaurant, a local favourite.<BR><BR> There are cruise boats that provide overnight accomodation as well as the alternatives that have already been named in the town itself. It is unlikely you would need Dramamine, my husband did not when we did the overnight trip last year (and he is a seasickness sufferer...) <BR><BR>On the route back to Toronto try a stop at The Big Apple, very corny but fun for young people and an excellent way to get to know local food specialities.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time...

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:00 AM
marcia

A thousand thanks for all of you! I loved the advices!!!<BR>Marcia