Cruise or specific islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I've never been to the Caribbean before and would like to plan a trip. My fear of taking a cruise is being stuck on the boat more often than not. It's something I'm debating since we could possibly see more islands, but my husband and I like to explore and be active on vacation mixed with pure beach days. We're interested in a vacation where we can:
1. Relax on white sandy beaches with that crystal blue water
2. Fishing
3. Snorkeling or possibly diving
4. Hiking/ nature adventures
5. River rafting or surfing

The top 3 are most important. And we have a flexible budget. I'd love to hear your advice or suggestions. Have you taken a cruise and had ample time on the islands to do what you intended? Or have you gone to one or two islands and been satisfied with your experience? Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 09:00 PM

There is no right or wrong answer to your question - you are just looking at different ways to see the Caribbean. Some people are very happy staying on one island, others do land based trips to 2 or 3 islands (depending on how much time they have) and some people really enjoy cruising where they visit a different island everyday. What's "best" for you depends on your travel style.

As an example, we live in the Caribbean and we've done cruises and land based trips - we've enjoyed them both.

Most Caribbean cruises visit a different island each day and depending on the length of the cruise there's rarely more than a day or two "at sea" so you are not "stuck on the Boat". One advantage to cruising is you only have to pack and unpack your bags once vs. ding 2 or 3 times as you change hotels. One other thing to consider, island hopping on your own is often not easy or inexpensive and because of distances in most instances you are limited to certain islands which may be very similar to each other so you don't get the variety that you would on a cruise.

Keeping mind, that when doing a land based trip to multiple islands you will "loss" time since you have to check out of most hotels in the morning (usually by 10 or 11AM and you can't check into your next hotel until 3 or 4PM. Plus you have "waiting time" for airplane or ferries which often don't have schedules that mess perfectly with your travel plans.

If your goal is to visit a number of different islands in one trip and take part in different activities you may find cruising is your best options since cruise destinations are designed to give you exposure to many different cultures and island experiences.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 05:18 AM

I agree with RoamsAround, there is no right answer, only differing opinions.

I have done 1 cruise in my life, and I wouldn't ever go on another one....even if it was free.

On a cruise you are on (their) schedule. The boat is crowded. The rooms are the size of closets. You have to wait in line for everything. And as soon as you get your toes in the sand on a beautiful beach with a drink in your hand you have to worry about the time and getting back to the ship on time. No thanks....not relaxing at all. Don't even get me started about the "rah-rah" team yelling into the microphones over a loud speaker at the main pool trying to get everyone into a conga-line.

Give me peace and quiet at a nice resort ANYDAY over that over-crowded noisey cramped atmosphere people call a cruise ship.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 09:28 AM

I am with Bassguy. No way...not for me. I go on vacations to get away from crowds. I think most of what you are looking for is doable on one island. For example St John. Its just a matter of picking the right island.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:01 PM

Cruises are great for groups or families, they are no brainers on decision making, everybody gets to do their own thing and meet up for meals. I've been on a number of them with 4-8 cabins. Those are fun.

Also not my cup of tea, but a bridge between the two ideas would be an all inclusive - no brainer for meals and drinks are included, and you can leave the property (not all encourage this - do your research) to explore.

But if you want romance, fishing and snorkeling at your own pace (without 60 others along), then an island is for you! If you have two weeks, visit two islands, but if only one week, I'd stick with one island. **With the exception of St. Kitts/Nevis. They are sister islands and we had fun exchanging rental car for free and exploring both.**

I agree St. John hits many of your points. If you go there, rent a condo or villa and a jeep. Or the Out islands - Eleuthera for privacy, Abaco for fishing and boating. I haven't been, but Costa Rica also is great for adventures. It depends on how much running/planning you'd want to do...

Have fun deciding!
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 04:32 PM

Let me add this about cruises - the experience you have can depend greatly on the cruise line. Party scenes, long lines and mass crowds like Bassguy described are found on many of the mega-ships and lower end cruise lines. Smaller ships and higher end cruise lines offer a very different experience. You have to do a bit of research to find the cruise line that fits your travel style and budget. FYI - not all staterooms are small. Many ships have larger stateroom and suites but they come at a premium. We've been on ships where some of the suites are over 1,000 sq. ft. but, of course, they are not cheap.