Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Barbados/Antigua or Southern Caribbean Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a tough time making a decision and time is running out so I need some opinions please. We are booked to go to Barbados in approximately 3 weeks for 4 days (also going to Antigua later on in the year for 4 days) but the offer to do a Carnival Destiny 8 Day Southern Caribbean Cruise leaving from Barbados has come up, but it’s for September 17th 2003. I must mention that I have been to Barbados twice and Antigua last year and love both Islands. With the exception of Barbados all the islands on the Carnival’s itinerary will be new destinations.<BR><BR>Besides having to delay our vacation by several months if we choose the cruise, we have never been on a cruise before and have read varying reviews of the Destiny which states that there is an odor on the ship, it’s old and needs a refurbishment, too many kids and “party hearty” types on board, food is mediocre, rooms are basic and the automatic tipping means service is poor. Also, I am concerned about hidden charges that add up at the end of the cruise and the time allocated to see each Island (Aruba, Martinique, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas).<BR><BR>Is the cruise really worth the wait, taking ONE long vacation instead of two mini breaks and the extra money? Help!!<BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 03:51 AM

Based on how you describe the ship, I would opt for 2 mini vacations. We've been to both islands as well - going back to Barbados for our 17th time this year and have been to Antigua once.<BR><BR>We love to get out and explore the islands and really experience island life. We also love the water. While we will take our first cruise in February, the Dawn Princess doesn't seem to have the problems you mentioned with the Destiny. We'll leave from Puerto Rico. There are only 2 islands that will be first time for us, but based on how long you actually have to see each island, I think I will feel rushed &amp; almost as if I had not been there. It will just give us a taste for what it might be like if we'd go back. So we're doing that trip totally for the cruise experience (which we hope will be good). It's not a party-type crowd or boat, supposed to have excellent service &amp; more gourmet type food. Also we'll be able to get a nice suite.<BR><BR>So if I were you, I'd go to the islands and skip the cruise until you can try one out without all of the negatives.<BR><BR>Lois
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I, personally, have no interest in cruises because I think of it as being stuck on a boat with 1,000-2,000 other people. That is just not relaxing to me.<BR><BR>Also, to point out, September is prime time for hurricanes. So when you get to your cruise destinations, the weather may not be so great. My opinion is to go with the 2 short vacations rather than the cruise. Good luck in choosing!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses; off to Barbados in 19 days and Antigua in August!!
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:41 PM

You should look into a cruise on Windstar's Windsurf which sails from Barbados to St. Thomas stopping at Mayreau, Bequia, Dominica, St. Barts and Virgin Gorda. It is a wonderful ship with 300 or less people. We have sailed on it twice. Most passengers are repeat passengers who have sailed with them many times. Right now are great deals with the current world situation.