Has anyone done this cruise

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone done this cruise

We are booked for 10 night ultimate southern caribbean on Celebrity Summit in December. Wondering if anyone has done this cruise and if they had any comments or suggestions? thx
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Have done Southern Caribbean but not on Celebrity.
What kind of information are you looking for?
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:54 AM

My husband and I, along with another couple (both mid-to-late thirties, no kids) did this cruise last February and IT WAS AWESOME!!! This was our 4th cruise overall (past were on Norwegian & Carnival) and the first for our friends. The Summit just blew us away...not only was the ship gorgeous but the staff was unbelievable--so friendly--we never encountered anyone who didn't have a smile on their face and a warm greeting. (If he's still there and you have opportunity to track him down, look for Mario Ferrao from India. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. On our cruise he was our dining room bar server, but he also worked out on deck, in the Martini Bar, & in the Rendevous Lounge--we bought as many of our drinks from him as we could. Whenever I think about our cruise, I always think of Mario!!)

We enjoyed all of the port stops. Barbados and the Jolly Roger Pirate cruise was especially fun. The other ship excursion we did was the Fanta-Sea catamaran sail in St. Kitts which was also a great time (beautiful island). The other 3 ports we just went to the beach.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Laura
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 04:28 PM

My husband and I did a Southern Caribbean cruise late Jan/Feb. It was my second S. Cruise. You don't mention the ports you will be visiting, but we did a tour of St. Lucia with stluciajungletours.com They were great and was one of the highlights of our trip. St. Lucia is a gorgeous island. We went to Barbados, Antigua we went to Dickenson Bay for the day. We went on RCC but next time I would like to try Celebrity also. Enjoy.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

to llenfest (Laura) I'm glad it was so great. Did you eat at The Normandie? If so, what is the cover charge and was it worth it? Our friend has a big B'day while on board and we thought it might be nice to reserve there for that night? Thx for your reply.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:12 AM

loosegoose
We did not eat in the Normandie, but every comment I have ever heard or read about it is that the food and service are excellent, and that it's well worth the $25pp cover.
Laura
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 08:36 AM

We did the 10 day on the Summit this past April. It was our first 10 day cruise, but 7th overall. This cruise was BY FAR the best one yet. We met a bunch of people from the Cruise Critic message boards at sailaway and had instant friends for the duration of the cruise. What a blast! The ship is super clean, has friendly efficient service, is well designed and Celebrity always has extra little touches that make you feel special. We never ate at the Normandie ($25pp) because we found the dining room offerings were very good to excellent. They have finger sandwiches and desserts around sailaway each evening and a neat outdoor aft bar with various happy hour drinks. From 6 to 10pm they offer sushi. We had late seating so we always had some snacks, sushi and drinks during sailaway, then got cleaned up for dinner.

None of the ports require tender boats which is a big plus. In St Marteen we took a taxi over to the French side and roamed around there for a little while. Then we hooked up with some couples from our ship and taxied over to Orient Beach. Interesting to see the various stage of undress!! Beautiful turquoise waters and all sorts of water toys to rent, if you so desire. This was our least favorite island of the trip however.

Next was St Lucia. Here we took an all day catamaran tour to the interesting but stinking volcano, Fond Deux Estate (a working plantation), then to a beach for snorkeling. They served a delicious lunch on the boat. This was an excellent shore excursion.

In Barbados we did the rainforest hike and cave exploration. It was an awesome excursion, but it is very exhausting because you have to use ropes and sort of repel down to the cave entrance. Once in the caves, you will have to crouch down very low in spots and wade through waist deep water in other places. It's definitely NOT for everybody but we were so glad we did it!

In St Kitts we and another couple hired a taxi for the day and drove all over the island. First we went to the old fort and explored it for about an hour or so. Then we went to a black sand beach, then another cool beach with huge volcanic rock formations with the waves splashing up on them.....great photo ops. Then it was off to Turtle beach where all the green monkeys hang out. They will take food right from your hand....very tame. After that our driver took us to a local restaurant for a wonderful lunch of fish and chicken and assorted veggies. Then back to the little town for some shopping.

Last port was St Thomas where we power shopped in the morning and then did the Leylon Sneed boat trip to St John's Trunk Bay for snorkeling in the afternoon. Trunk Bay is probably the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean and has a wonderful underwater snorkeling trail.

Of all the islands, I'd say our favorites are St Lucia and Dominica (from a previous cruise), but we like hiking, waterfalls, exploring and such more so than beaches and shopping.

Regardless, you'll have a great time on this cruise. I wish I were going again!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

To Lenore: thx for the great info. This is the first time we have booked ahead (we usually do last minute) and now we can't wait to get there. About the caves, is there any other way to get down into them? One of our companions is slightly disabled. Rope climbing is not an option.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Glad I was helpful! Regarding the Caves, I think there are several and one that is lighted that you take a tram ride through. Completely different type of experience than ours. Go on Celebrity's website and click on shore excursions. They should have them all listed by island.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 03:58 PM

Harrison's Cave has the tram and you ride through the caves. It is a nice tour.