Search

Tax Refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Janet

Tax Refund

Does anyone know the address where I would obtain a tax refund from for purchases over $50 in Victoria, B.C.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Karyn

You can download the form and information at the CCRA website (Canada Customs and Revenue).

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:38 PM
dnorrie

www.ccra.adrc.gc.ca is the web address. Under tax, go to international and non-resident. You can print the actual forms from there and they have good instructions for what you can and cannot claim. Good luck.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 03:12 AM
anncat

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the tax refund. I sent one out mid-June and never heard back and also another 2 weeks ago.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:21 AM
dnorrie

Sigh - the government works (?) in mysterious ways. Right now, they are in contract negotiations and are working slower than usual, if that could be possible. A GST business refund can take months. In fact, I file my GST returns directly with Revenue Canada and frequently receive delinquent filer notices some 6 weeks later as they are always at least that far behind with even posting.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:58 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Keep in mind too, that as of April 1, 2001, you will often need to have your receipts for purchases validated prior to leaving Canada. There are places to do this in the major airports, but they will not necessarily be staffed if you have an early or late flight. The net result is going to be more hassle and less opportunity for non-residents to recover the taxes than they have had in the past. Go to the website and learn the rules BEFORE you leave or you are likely to end up eating more of those taxes than you ever have in the past.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 10:13 PM
Yun Cha

Thanks everyone. <BR>Actually that address is: <BR>www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 12:01 PM
SAndra

Anncat - <BR>I sent mine out in July and just received my check. So I'd say at least 3 months. <BR> <BR>Sandra

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Faina

I was in Canada at the end of May, sent the form on 06/12/02 and got the check back in USA currency on 07/20/02. I just tossed the letter in the mailbox, not even sertified. <BR><BR>I sent the original copies to <BR>visito rebate program<BR>canada customs/revenue agency<BR>275 pope road, suite 104<BR>summerside PE c1n 6c6 canada<BR><BR>if you did not get the form while in canada it's on the internet, i don't remember the url now, i think the one dnorrie posted above. the phone is (902)432-5608. Their forms can't be copied or printed off the internet, must be original forms. And original receipts.<BR><BR>There was a line on the form: "if you leave canada by train send the original boarding pass or ticket". I did not have it, still got the refund.<BR><BR>Any questions?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Julie

Just wanted to post my positive experience regarding refund of sales tax. <BR><BR>We filed for our sales tax refund before we flew home on Sept. 15. We received the CN$120 refund this week.<BR><BR>You have to have your receipts for goods stamped at the airport. Hotel receipts do not need to be stamped. They will also provide you with the official form to be completed and sent in. <BR><BR>We did not use the company that advertises in the vistors brochures and charges a processing fee. We used the official govert. form which does not charge a processing fee.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Frances

Similarly we returned on the 3rd September and sent our return from the U.K. that week. We have received payment this week