How do I get GTS refund?

Search

How do I get GTS refund?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get GTS refund?

I heard some where that I can get GTS refund (7%, not sure) for hotel, tours and car rental taxes when leaving Canada. We will be driving from Vancouver to Portland. Does anyone know how do I go about this?
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:13 AM

When leaving Montreal by car, we have to stop at Customs at the border. There you can take care of your tax refund and buy duty free stuff.

I don't know about Vancouver but I imagine it is the same.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Hello Alexp508,

You have the option of submitting your claim form to the customs official at the border post or airport on your way out of Canada, as Scarlett did, or of mailing it when you return home.

Most hotels, airports, visitor information centres and other places that display tourist brochures also provide copies of the Application for Visitor Tax Refund form.

Here is a website that explains the procedure for claiming a GST refund. There's also a link to a PDF version of the claim form, which I imagine you could print for yourself.

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/nonre...ors/tax-e.html
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:55 AM

If you're driving, there should be a refund service desk at the duty-free shop just before you leave Canada. Bring all your receipts, and if there are goods that you're claiming, you're supposed to bring those in to show that you're exporting them.

Or you can just get the refund for goods there. For hotels, tours and car rental, you can do it by mail. Forms are available at the duty-free shop, or you can just download it from the Canadian government's website.

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst176/README.html
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Doh

Just note that the refund forms and envelopes you'll see displayed at a lot of places are not actually Canadian government forms-- it is a private company that you are authorizing to seek a refund on your behalf, and the company will take a cut of your refund.

It is just as quick and easy to fill out the official Canadian government form, from those websites, and they will send you a check back (even in US dollars).
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Ditto on Doh's caution. The commission charged by private companies is substantial and unless you're hard-up for cash on the spot, just wait til you return from the trip, access the official government web-site, download and complete the form, attach all orginial receipts, and mail it in. I've never had a problem and always received my refund within a few weeks.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Yes, I agree with the previous posters - when you come home go to the OFFICIAL canadian website, print out the form and mail with the original receipts (over $50 CDN). Or maybe the $50 limit is different now, not sure. You'll find all instruction on the website. You'll get a check in mail in US dollars.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Don't make the mistake that we did while in Montreal this spring. Went to many shops and made purchases that were UNDER $50 CDN. Thought we could just add them all up and get our tax refund. Not so! Try to 'bundle' your purchases at each shop so that your bill adds up to more than $50. We got a refund to our MasterCard at the airport since we got there so EARLY!