Reload this Page >

Subway - toronto

Search

Subway - toronto

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Chris

Subway - toronto

We are planning to stay at the Sandalwood Hotel in Mississauga, Toronto. Any suggestions on the best way to get to downtown Toronto from here? Would it be better to get a place downtown? If you could post an internet site for subway transportation it would be of great help.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Susan

Chris, it is much more practical & convenient for you to stay in downtown To. than way the heck out in Mississauga! But if you are planning on visiting To. soon you may want to reschedule b/c Toronto's garbage collectors are "on Strike" & the place is a stinking mess right now. Museums are closed, ferries not running to the islands & a few other tourist attractions are also affected by the current labour dispute.<BR>(From Mississauga you are prob better using the GO train to get to To.) <BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Gayle

Mississauga is WAY out! Not sure why you'd want to stay there for any reason unless you need to be close to family or friends out there. The subway DOES NOT run to Mississauga. You can take a bus to a Go Train station. The Go Train is a commuter passenger train and it will take you right downtown into Union Station. <BR><BR>Or, depending on the location of the hotel (I've never heard of it so don't know where it is)a couple of buses may get you to a subway station. Depending on how far your hotel is, the commute could be 45 minutes to an hour each way during the week. Also, you'd need to check bus and train schedules. <BR><BR>You can get Go Train info at www.gotransit.com and Subway and Bus info at http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/index.htm <BR><BR>and Missisauga transit info (which is different from Toronto) at http://www.city.mississauga.on.ca/transit/

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Susan

I think that hotel may be near the airport, Eglinton and Satellite Drive area. (I did a contract out near that area.) I did have to take transit out there a couple of times and it's not very convenient. If it were me and I couldn't get a hotel downtown, I would drive into the city. I don't think that Toronto transit goes that far - I had to connect to Mississauga transit from the Islington subway station.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Susan

BTW, I live and work in downtown Toronto. I wouldn't exactly call it a 'stinking mess' right now, but there are people dumping garbage wherever. I don't know who they think will pick it up - what a bunch of idiots.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Here's a cool site that you can use to navigate subways in many cities around the world:<BR><BR>http://www.subwaynavigator.com/subway_site/eng/accueil/fset_subway.htm<BR><BR>Just enter Toronto in the box below the top 10 and you should be able to drill in to the info you need.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Chris

Thanks for everyones help, downtown it is. You are having a strike - hopefully it will be done before we take our trip to Toronto.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Gil

Chris,<BR><BR>If you do decide to stay up at Sandalwood the TTC does provide service in the area, one block east or one block north of the hotel into the city. The 32 Eglinton West is the route you're looking for, it runs about every 15 min. from about 7am to 7pm on weekdays only.<BR><BR>As other people have said, there is a strike that just seems to be getting bigger every day. If the strike is indeed still on, I would probably want to stay in a hotel outside of the city. There are still things to do out in the suburbs. A weekly pass at C$37.25 will get you pretty much anywhere, and it's transferrable.<BR><BR>Centennial Park is right across the street from the hotel, though in Toronto (Eglinton Ave. serves as the boundary in this area) there should still be stuff to do, or just enjoy the nature. Mississauga Transit's route 7, which also runs through the same area as the 32 will get you to "downtown" Mississauga - Square One (the largest mall in the province), the Living Arts Centre, a bunch of restaurants, and bus connections to the rest of the city, Canada's Wonderland, and the rest of the region through GO Transit. At the other end of the line, the Airport (Terminal 2) and Westwood Mall with connections to Wild Water Kingdom (for the kids, if any), Woodbine Centre (mall) and Racetrack/Slots, and connections into Brampton to the north.<BR><BR>While it may not compete with the attractions of downtown Toronto, if the strike is still on you may want to avoid it if at all possible. Most tourists don't even get out to the suburbs unless they are staying with family, there's a lot to see and do if you know where to look! <BR><BR>Regardless of the situation, I hope this helps and I hope that the situation does not taint your image of Toronto.<BR><BR>TTC: www.ttc.ca<BR>Mississauga Transit: www.mississaugatransit.com<BR>GO Transit: www.gotransit.com<BR>They all should have links to other transit agenies and also things to see and do for the entire Greater Toronto Area (GTA)