Search

Mississauga Hotels & Things to Do

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mississauga Hotels & Things to Do

Hello Everyone,
Oct 13 & 14 - Hubby has 2 days of meetings at Spectrum Way near the corner of Eglington Ave. W. in Mississauga. Meetings start at 8 am. With the time zone difference, a short commute will be best.
Oct 11 - Fly to Toronto (noon) & Oct. 17 - Fly home (6pm)
Do you have any suggestions regarding hotels? Things to do in Mississauga?
If I use public transit, how long will it take to get to places like Kensington and ROM?
Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Are you or your husband planning to rent a car? The location of your husband's meetings is industrial.

I would recommend staying downtown Mississauga, there is a nice shopping mall (Square One) which may be of interest to you depending on the quality of shopping where you're from. There is a Novotel across the street from Square One, it's where guests stayed when I got married a few years ago and everyone liked it. From there it would take about 20 minutes drive for your husband to get to the meeting.

Public transit would take awhile, depending if you take the GO or municipal buses/subway. If your husband takes the rental car, you could walk from the Novotel to the GO Bus terminal on the north side of the shopping mall, and the bus would take you right downtown Toronto. That is probably the easiest solution for you if you're not familiar with Toronto. Then you can take the subway system to travel within downtown Toronto. ROM takes about 15 minutes on the subway from Union station, which is where the GO bus will take you.

The other option is for you to drive your husband to the meetings and drive downtown yourself. It depends on your comfort level. You will have more flexibility but then you will have to pay for parking and find your way around.

Feel free to ask more I live in Toronto and work in Mississauga!
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:46 AM
BAK

I spent years with a client several blocks away from there, and we had hundreds of overnight visitors every year, many taking courses.

Most preferred to stay in hotels near the airport, On Carlingview, Dixon Road and Airport Road. They would either rent a car, take a taxi to my client's offices, or lots would be picked up by whichever of my clients employees would be hosting the visit.

Some stayed at what is now the Delta Toronto Airport West, at Aerowood and Dixie Road, just south of Highway 401 (which is not very close to the airport at all)

Depending on how your husband gets around -- you might want to stay at The Old Mill in Toronto, just off Bloor Street, right at the Old Mill subway station, just west of Jane Street.

It's as close to Spectrum as the Novatel is at Burnhamthorpe and Highway 10 inMississauga, and right on the subway.

If you stay in Mississauga, see http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/maps for transit info. Note the times buses run in the industrial districts.

There are two municipalieis involved in your visit. Mississauga is gthe city where the meetings are, Toronto is the giant city where the interesting things are.

A Toronto-owned bus runs past some of the hotels on Dixon Road and goes to a subway station, which in turn leads to downtown Toronto.

And sevral Mississauga bus routes go into Toronto and drop passengers off at subway stations.

The GO Bus mentioned earlier will take you to the bottom of downtown Toronto, but check out how far it is from whatever hotel you pick.

To me, the BEST BET would be for you to rent a car, drop your husband off in the morning, and use the car all day to see the sights. This will involve lots of driving -- Spectrum is a long way from downtown, and some parking fees. ALTERNATIVELY, he drops you at a Toronto subway station or a Mississauga bus stop that leads to a Toronto subway station early in the morning and then drives to his meetings, and arranges to pick you up after work, or even comes downtown to meet you.

Google maps can help you make sense of this.

BAK
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM

I agree with the others above. You need to rent a car. Welcome to the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) - you need a car for everything. I live in Toronto and drive out to Mississauga. Most of the traffic is going INTO Toronto in the a.m. and out of Toronto in the p.m. (starting at 3-4pm). From where you are located - drive down Hurontario St. and jump on the QEW to Toronto.

Places in Toronto to visit: High Park/Bloor West Village, Queen St. West for shopping - or Eaton Centre (Starting at Spadina and heading East), of course; tons of museums etc. The CN Tower which Toronto is known for (and now can sky-walk at a $$$!!).

As for Mississauga - Port Credit is beautiful. Little shops and the lake. Drive down Hurontario to Lake Shore and go West. OR even drive the entire ride to Toronto on Lake Shore - great way to see a different view without the highway.

"Green P" signs are everywhere to pay for parking - rates aren't bad and they take credit card so no worry about always carrying change. The TTC (transit) system is always there in Toronto - but unless on the Subway (and even then) it can take you forever!

But the time you are coming will be amazing for the fall colours - so try to hit up High Park.

Have fun.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
BAK

Mississauga sreets run at funny angles and bend all over the place.

So spend some time with Google Maps if you are going to do any driving.

Hurontario (which is also called Highway 10), for instance, is many blocks west of Spectrum, whichmeans you have to go away from Toronto to get there.

If you're happy driving on the big highways, easiest is to drive east on Eglinton from Spectrum, and then go south on the six-lane highway 427, which curves east and becomes the Gardiner Expressway and takes you downtown.

OR YOU CAN (there's a lot of choice) just keep driving east on Eglinton, which is much calmeer than highway 427) until you get to the middle of the city, and then turn off Eglinton when you get nearer the places you want to see.

For instance, turning south off of Eglinton onto Avenue Road will eventually take you past the Royal Ontario Museum and within two blocks of the Art Gallery of Ontario.

ABOUT DRIVING IN TORONTO -- how stressful it is depends on where you come from, but lots of us who live here drive into the downtown area every day, or at least frequently. We live and work in Oakville now, and try to avoid downtown meetings before 10 a.m to avoid traffic, but it's not all that bad. And signage is pretty good. And there's no awful neighborhoods to worry about getting into accidentally.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM

You will be in Toronto Tuesday, Oct 11- Monday, Oct 17 (6 nights). Your husband only has meetings Thursday, Oct 13 & Friday, Oct 14.

I think you & your husband shd stay in a downtown Toronto hotel. Your husband can figure out how to get to Mississauga for his meetings. You can explore Toronto on your own on Thursday & Friday while your husband is in meetings. And, the two of you can have some wonderful nights & a great weekend(Fri,Oct 14- Sun, 16) in Toronto...dinners, theatre, shopping, etc.

That's what I would do!

Ocean
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Postscript:

You could even rent a car & drive north of Toronto to "Cottage Country" on Friday, Oct 14, returning Sunday, Oct 16 ( or even Oct 17th b/c your flight is not until 6:00PM on Oct 17). Google Muskoka for more info.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! You have been very helpful. I will take a closer look at your suggestions, with my map ;-) I am quite excited about the trip. I have not been to this part of Ontario before.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM

I will also be in the Toronto area during this time. I'm excited about the fall colors. Where is the best place to drive to for fall colors? My husband and I have been to Niagara Falls a few times, so I was thinking somewhere North of Toronto? Is there any place that has a train tour for the colors? Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:09 AM
BAK

Quickest, easiest look at fall colors is simply to drive up and down the Don Valley Parkway in central Toronto, from Lake Ontario uop to Highway 401 and back again.
The road is in a valley, with beautiful colors on both sides.

I'm sure people will add info on a more extensive out-of-town drive.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:10 AM
BAK

FALL COLORS: see the messages on "Itinerary help for fall colors in Quebec and Ontario "
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks Bak - I'll take a look. We will have a car and I'm sure we will drive up and down Don Valley...but I'm looking for an idea for a day trip...quaint shops, art galleries, maybe a winery, yummy food...
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
BAK

The quaint shops and wineries are in the Niagara region, which is south west, and the best trees are north towards and in Muskoka.

That said, it can be very pretty driving to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake, and you can go there and return easily in one day.

BAK
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks BAK! Is Muskoka mostly lakes and parks and waterfalls?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:29 AM

Muskoka is one of Ontario's main "Cottage Country" districts. Large rugged (Canadian Shield) lakes ringed by forests, many private cottages and summer homes and a number of resorts of varying types and amenities. There are a few provincial parks, the largest and most famous of which is Algonquin Provincial Park which is renowned for its rugged beauty, its fall colours and outdoor experiences (nature trails, longer hikes, canoeing, etc.). There are scattered towns that service the cottage/resort crowds and offer some shopping, dining and accommodation choices. You would want to probably spend at least a night or two if you go there, and you would want to check the "Fall Leaf Colour Report" first: http://www.ontariotravel.net/publica...lourreport.pdf as your timing may bring you past the peak of the colours north of the city - the leaves can fall quickly once past peak.

I second BAK's suggestion of Niagara area for a day trip,and the Niagara area colour tends to peak a little later, being warmed by the surrounding Great Lakes.

Another day-trip (after checking the "Colour Report") could be through the Caledon Hills or the Hockley Valley then up Airport Road to Creemore (quaint but tiny village with some shops and a couple of restaurants) or go a bit further (could be a long daytrip or an overnight) to the Blue Mountain and Beaver Valley area. There are 2 other current threads of "Fall Colour" on this forum at present that you should read for details of these and other suggestions.

The most famous train tour for fall colours is quite far away - the Agawa Canyon. You'll see details in those other threads.