Toronto - neighbourhoods

Apr 14th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Nicole

Toronto - neighbourhoods

Can anyone advise on which would be a good neighbourhood to stay in. Reading some comments it seems Primrose is not the best. (Where is that - between which streets)? We do not have to have a "posh" area but I do not like the idea of being unsafe after dark as mentioned by one of the writers.

My husband and I like the idea of a homely place to stay and so like "B&B"s as we both travel and stay at hotels for work but would not count them (hotels) out.

So I guess my questions are:
1) Where (area) to stay in toronto which is safe and nice balanced with cost
2) Recommendations of a "B&B" or hotel.

Thank you

Nicole

Apr 15th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Gayle

Can you provide a price range? Otherwise it's a bit diffiicult to make a recommendation. I agree the primrose is not in a good area.

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Brian Kilgore

the Primrose is part of the Best Western organization, and is at the corner of Jarvis and Carleton Streets, across the road from Allan Gardens, a popular hangout for the socially disadvanteged, most of whom will never bother anyone.

And the Primrose is between the OK part of town and Allan Gardens, so you don't need to walk past them anyway.

But, during the day, Allan Gardens has a giant flower conservatory well worth a visit.

Carlton and Jarvis is a few blocks north of Dundas and Jarvis, and a few more blocks north of Queen and Jarvis.

Jarvis is a north-south street, and is the second major street (there are several smaller streets) west of Yonge, whiich is, in turn, the main north-south Toronto street.

Other big, newish hotels on Jarvis include the Grande and a Comfort Inn.

The Primrose ain't so bad, when all is said and done.

And, finally, Toronto is not a big B&B kind of a city.

BAK

Apr 16th, 2002, 07:14 AM
x

There is no such thing as a dangerous neighborhood in Toronto. I don't know where would get such an idea. I wouldn't want to stay at Jarvis/Carlton - not the most attractive part of downtown. It can be wino ccentral at night. It is convenient, I suppose

I don't know where you'd find a B&B in Toronto in a central location, but there might be something in The Annex. Further out, maybe High Park or the Beaches.

Apr 16th, 2002, 02:02 PM
jo

Speaking of Toronto We have booked Hotel
Victoria 56 Yonge and were told very convenient to Union Station. $135 for a queen. Any opinions on this choice.
Need close to Union Station.
Thanks

Apr 16th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Gayle

It's very close. The only one closer (right across the street as opposed to 2 blocks north) is The Royal York.

Apr 16th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Jo

Oh by the way try BBcanada.com, bbonline.com and travelguide.com just for a start on B&B in Toronto. I beleive there are a few.

Apr 16th, 2002, 05:12 PM
davids

This fellow Kilgore seems to have the right of it, and his comments, as gathered from his other postings (I'm new to this network) can be relied upon. I might add that the Primrose hosts a lot of tours, if that's a help to you.

I live in Toronto and there is nothing unsafe about the Primrose's area. There may be a degree of personal discomfort, based on what the other posters have said and depending upon the heightened or otherwise state of your own personal sensitivities--a few drunks, etc. But you will not be accosted or otherwise assailed. If a budget dictates, then the Primrose is fine, from a locational point of view.

Forget B&B's in TO. Welcome to our city!

Apr 17th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Gary

On of the better neighboorhoods in the city is the Annex. I promise I'm not just saying that because I live here. There are 3 B&B's in the area, and I've listed them below. The subway line runs through this neighboorhood as well. Crime here is next to non-existent. People regularly jog alone at 2am, 4am, whenever.

The Casa Loma Inn - (416) 924-4540
Havinn International - (416) 922-5220
Lowther House - (416) 323-1589

Mar 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM

The comment from davids that reads, "Forget B&B's in TO" must not have had the experience of staying at a B&B in Toronto. Perhaps he is employed by the Primrose! That said, my experience staying at Havinn B & B was a very positive experience and I highly recommend them. There are many fine Bed and Breakfasts Inns in Toronto and I suggest you give them a try. I prefer B&B's to some of the cold impersonal hotels that many cities offer!
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Nicole,

There's nothing wrong with the neighbourhood around the Primrose. I lived a block from there for 9 years and found it perfectly safe coming home late at night. The streets may be a bit gritty but there are lots of pedestrians around which is what, IMHO, makes a neighbourhood safe.

If you're looking for a B & B in an interesting neighbourhood, close to the subway and downtown, check out this one (which I haven't stayed at but a friend stayed there and gave it a good report):

http://www.bbontario.com/bedbreakfas...mptonhouse.cfm

CanadaKate
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Uh, guys, I doubt that Nicole is such an obsessive planner that she would plan FIVE YEARS in advance
Mar 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Funneeee Ginto - I was just about to point that 5 year thing out!
May 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM

Gary, I have read that the Annex area is very nice but there are not many hotels/BBs near there. I could not find much about the three B+B's you mention. What do you think about the hotel Victoria area?
May 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM

opps, time warp!