Streetcars in Toronto

May 15th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Sonya

Streetcars in Toronto

Just a little over a week and we will be in Toronto. Have perused the TTC site trying to
ascertain the downtown routes where streetcars are used. I think I've determined that 501 (Queen) has one and 510 (Queen's Quay) has one. Is this correct and are there any others downtown? Are there any that leave from Union? If the weather is nice we'd enjoy these more than the subway. Thanks! Sonya

May 15th, 2002, 12:41 PM
LJ

There are many routes in Toronto in the downtown core that are served by streetcars...you will have your choice. When you arrive get a TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) map (available through most hotels or at major stations: it will have all the routes laid out and you can match them up with your itinerary.

May 15th, 2002, 12:48 PM
bram

Hi Sonya,
I think you are confusing a TTC steetcar with the traditional cable car of San Fran. The street cars in Toronto aren't "open-air" and are really just buses without wheels that ride on a track in the middle of the street. Don't be too dissapointed.

Regards,

Bram

May 15th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Susan

And....they are often crowded & hot & downright unpleasant! But, what the heck? Try it & see what you think! You can do a subway/streetcar/cab combo.

May 15th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Brian Kilgore

And besides, the Queen Street streetcars seem to be replaced, sort of and at least part of the time, by buses.

Try a subway ride to Union Station, then walk through a tunnel (clearly marked) to the streetcar that runs from there to harbourfront.

You'll enjoy the ride, and get to try the two forms of transportation.

BAK

May 16th, 2002, 09:54 AM
JMM

Personally as a long time Toronto resident, I prefer streetcars to the subway any day because you can open the windows and people watch along the streets. If you dont like crowds avoid them during the rush hours 8AM-9:AM and 4PM-6PM. By the way buses are only substituted for streecars when the tracks are under repair and it is my understanding that the repairs on the Queen St line west of Yonge (501) have been long completed. The 501 Queen st line probably has the most interesting route. The Dundas streetcar (sorry cant remember its number) also has an interesting route through China town. Streecars also run on King St.,Bathurst St. and Spadina Ave.,St Clair Ave. Queen St,King St,Dundas St are all right down town and run east-west. Spadina and Bathhurst are north-south lines several blocks from Yonge St.

May 16th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Susan

There is construction on the Queen Street east route (501 car). The bridge over the DVP is being rebuilt so streetcars are diverted along Parliament, then Dundas, then Broadview, then back on to Queen Street. It doesn't seem to take much longer to get to work in the morning, but it really seems to be slow at night.

I agree that Queen Street car is probably one of the most interesting - really pass through a lot of different areas.

May 19th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Gilbert Vesleno

Finding a streetcar on the TTC's website is no problem. Just pull up the map, or when you get here ask for a Ride Guide map and look for any 500-series route (501, 502, 503, etc.) Your best be to see the city by streetcar is on a Sunday. (Less traffic) Get a family pass (up to 2 adults and 4 kids) for C$7.50 and hop on and off the streetcar whenever you find something interesting. The 501 Queen is the longest line, while the 506 Carlton offers quite a diverse ethnic mix, everything from Polish to Chinese to Indian and Greek. I hope you enjoy the city!