Toronto Zoo or Islands?

May 18th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Dianne

Toronto Zoo or Islands?

Which outing would you recommend for a nice day in June?

Also, if I go to the Islands, is it better to drive to the ferry dock (parking?) or take the subway to Union station?

May 18th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Rich

Both are nice, but if I could only do one and it's a nice day, I would definitely pick the island. The ferry ride is pleasant and the views of the city from the ferry and the island are great. It's a good place to people-watch, take a picnic lunch, and just enjoy the afternoon. The zoo is great, but I think it's less uniquely "Toronto." Lots of places have zoos, but the island is pretty special.

May 18th, 2002, 11:28 PM
paul

I would take the subway from Union Station the distance to the Ferry Docks isn't great.

May 19th, 2002, 04:26 AM
John K

Hi Dianne,
If you take the subway to Union Station you can change there for the trolley one stop to Queen's Quay which leaves you off right across the street from the ferry docks. The transfer is free and the trolly is underground at Union Station so don't go up to the street to look for it!

May 19th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Jen

Definetly the Island. The subway is the way to go. It's beautiful. Enjoy!

May 19th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Dianne

Thanks everyone! The Islands sound great. Hopefully the weather will be clear so I can get good pictures of the city from there.

May 19th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Bonnie

Re:car or subway. It is not a problem to park near the ferries. If you are taking a picnic, bikes, rollerblades, etc. it might be more convenient to have your car there. We usually walk over to Queen's Quay Terminal for shopping or food or music after a day on the islands and it's great to get back into the car afterwards. As there are different ferries going to the different islands you should also make that decision. Another thought for a nice day in June is to take one of the harbour cruises which go around the islands.

May 20th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Dianne

I guess I'll take the Centre Island ferry because that's where they rent bicycles right? Where's the best place for a picnic?