Stratford-Which Hotel

Jul 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Stratford-Which Hotel

Visiting Stratford for the first time in August and looking at staying at one of these hotels. Mercer Hall Inn, The Parlour Historic Inn & Suites or Arden Park Hotel. Any input? Have read trip advisor but was looking for input from this forum.

We are going to see The Music Man so would like to be close to the downtown area and enjoy the shops and restaurants.
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Have you checked who has availability? August is always the craziest month.

I don't normally comment on accommodation since I am in the industry, but since you are focusing on hotels, I thought I would offer up my advice. (I own a B&B... so I am a different sort of accommodation!)

All three are newly renovated and will be clean - any of them a fine place to rest your head. If all three have availability, personally I would choose the Mercer Hall. It is a smaller place with a greater focus on the guest experience.

The Old English Parlour (or is it now the Parlour Historic Inn?) is now owned (branded?) by the Best Western, so you have the comfort of knowing the chain stands behind it... if Best Western is your cup of tea.

Arden Park (or River Garden Inn) though not part of a chain, have the feel of better quality Best Westerns. Again, nothing wrong with them... nothing really special either.

Mercer Hall and Old English Parlour have better locations- both being situated downtown.
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks goldilox for your advice. I have never stayed at a B&B before so I wasn't sure where to even start. An ensuite is a must and I hate to say this but we want a TV in our room and I know some B&B's don't have them.
The Mercer does have rooms in Aug. so I might go with them.
Is your B&B close to the Avon theatre? Can you tell me something about it, thanks.
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM

August is VERY busy. I booked my b and b a year ago for august and that isn't unusual. So I strongly suggest you book your accomodations NOW.
Aug 1st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks glorialf for the advice, we decided on The Mercer Hall Inn midweek and we booked it.
Aug 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM

For a future trip, check out the B & B's. Just returned and we stayed at the Old Rectory (Ontarion St near NIle).
Wonderful innkeepers, great location and good breakfasts!
Aug 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM

I think you'll do fine at the Mercer Hall. Friends stayed there recently and enjoyed it.
This will be the 5th year that our family party ranging from 11 - 18 persons each year spend a 3 day weekend in Stratford in September and we always split ourselves between 3 or 4 B&Bs and Inns. Since I'm responsible for doing the bookings each year I know many of them (Goldilocks, wouldn't it be strange if we've stayed in yours sometime ?) and you do have to book well in advance(we book in May).
We also like the Albert St. Inn
We've also dined at the Olde English Parlour for 2 years because they can accommodate our large group for the one mandatory group dinner while being close to the theatres for the show we all attend following, but are looking for somewhere different this year.

Enjoy !

Search this Thread