Search

St. Anne's Spa, Grafton

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Anne's Spa, Grafton

Has anyone been here recently?

I was specifically wondering about the dining and if anyone has stayed in any of the spa cottages - it is for a group, so this is where we will be staying if we go. (innkeeper's, Haldimand Annex, Farmhouse)

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:18 PM

Ste. Anne's is wonderful! The dining is superb and I cannot speak about the cottages but the inn accommodation is very nice, cozy and comfortable. I don't think you can go wrong.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:09 PM

I stayed there two years ago (in 'The East Suite') with a friend and was utterly dissapointed.

The room was fine, but the food left a lot to be desired (we ordered off both the "Spa" (i.e. light) and the "Regular" menus.) Bland, uninteresting- if the restaurant tried to survive without the inn, it wouldn't. (That said, chefs are hired and fired, and a new chef would mean an entirely new experience. I don't know if the current chef is the one who was employed when I was there.)

I also observed they don't seem to allow enough time between appointments for their spa employees... Everyone waits in a lounge where the attendant gets you... you then have to scramble (in your slippers) after the attendant, who is racing through the tunnels to the treatment room. Once inside the room you have 30 minutes (or whatever) to try to calm down before racing after him/her back to the lounge. Hardly the soothing atmosphere promoted.

All told, I felt they were gliding on a reputation they garnered once-upon-a-time, but don't live up to today.

I have not, nor would not return.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Well - 2 different responses.

Goldilox - I agree with you that maybe they just got too big too soon and are relying on their good name.

I have heard both ends of the spectrum and am really confused. Either people LOVE it or HATE it - no middle ground comments!

My friend has always wanted to go, and we have an oppottunity this spring with another friend so I was enquiring.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Wow, Goldilox did not have a good experience. That was two years ago though and I don't know if they changed the chef but any time I've been the food has been on par with some of Toronto's finer restaurants. Too bad because I thought it had so much going for it. I never felt rushed between appointments but then again I was always there mid-week and I understand that weekends get a little crazy. I have been three times and have never been disappointed and look forward to my return. Just for the record.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

For those who may be interested, just returned from Ste. Anne's. Stayed in a spa cottage which was quaint, filled with very old furniture but charming all the same. The water pressure in the shower was terrible, but what can you do!

The food was so-so. Not great, not terrible. I would not say that it rivals Toronto's best restaurants as suggested above.

The service was very attentive throughout the inn, and the staff was very friendly.

I indulged in 2 services - a massage and facial. The massage was excellent, and the facial just okay.

I would not return very quickly, as I think that for my money, I may be able to find a better spa getaway in Ontario.

Perhaps though I would try their sister property in Port Hope called the Hillcrest. Has anyone been there?
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:05 PM

I'm actually headed to the Hillcrest next weekend, but already I have a bad feeling. Though told on the phone about a 'Cancellation Policy' I did not realize it applied to changes as well.

When I tried to make a change, all levels of management insisted on staying firm on the policy. Since they had a sizable deposit from my credit card, I could not just walk away.

Thus, I swallowed the change charge and let them know I was spending as little as I possibly could at their property... just enough to use up the deposit amount.

I did not want to cut the spa vacation short, so have opted to do the first part of the trip at The Old Mill in Toronto.

Additional issues with the Hillcrest:

-While the man I spoke to for the initial booking let me know a confirmation for the booking would be e-mailed promptly, it never arrived. (One did arrive for the change.)

-I received spa confirmations for three people I do not know, but none for myself or my friend.

-When I mentioned how I had to jump through hoops for my B&B to be deemed worthy to carry a certain amenity line, the same one Ste. Anne's uses, the reservations clerk talked at length about the declining quality of said products... Call me crazy, but I don't think its good business sense to point out the flaws of your sister property.

I'll report back on both properties when I'm back.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi goldilox.

Yes, please report back on the Hillcrest. I am very curious as to what you think about the property. They use the Dr. Hauschka products there which are very good.

I hope that you enjoy it. Port Hope itself is a great town to do some shopping. A few not-to-miss stores, IMHO, are Acanthus (sp?) Interiors, Hinchcliff & Lee Antiques and Walsh Mountain Ironworks. There are loads more, but I cannot remember the names!

Enjoy!
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Hi,

My husband and I just spent Easter weekend at the Hillcrest. We stopped for lunch on the way home at St. Anne's. While St. Anne's is much more developed (more of a "resort" feel) as opposed to Hillcrest (B&B type), we enjoyed the Hillcrest more.

The food the Hillcrest was EXCELLENT. Our lunch at Ste. Anne's was just "ok". We also did not find the service to be as gracious. The Hillcrest was very restful and relaxing - Ste. Anne's is much busier. If I were to stay in teh summer, I can see why people would prefer Ste. Anne's b/c they have tennis courts and more actvities (although both have an outdoor pool). The treatments were also every enjoyable at the Hillcrest - some of the best spa treatments we have had.

I should note that we booked the package on luxury link and got a great deal. I do NOT think that either Ste. Anne's or Hillcrest is worth the rack rate they ask for. We would return to the Hillcrest (esp. if we can get a great package again). THe staff really were exceptional there.

Lisa

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Jacolis, what was the luxury link you used to get a better rate?
I've never been to a spa resort and am thinking of going to one, but don't really want to pay top dollar.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Kodi, I visited a web-site called luxurylink.com. I believe that's the one referred to on this message board.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Kodi:

We used the following website (as noted by the previous poster):

www.luxurylink.com

It was a four night package (note no Fri or Sat arrivals). They didn't seem to have a blackout period as we were allowed to stay over the Easter weekend. The choice was either for the Hillcrest or Ste. Anne's with the package. It included all meals and a $200 spa credit.