Help! 1-night stopover between Tofino and Vancouver airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 2 nights at Sooke Harbour House and 5 in Tofino, we're looking for a nice place to stay for one night before catching an early morning ferry back to Vancouver for the flight home. Have looked into Qualicum Beach area but all the recommendations on this site seem to be more appropriate for a longer stay (e.g. condos, beach access, etc.) B&B's have 2- night minimums. Is our best alternative to go back to the Victoria area? Recommendations greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Hi chicago999: a resort I've always wanted to stay at is the Aerie Resort, about 25 miles north of Victoria. Its spa services are routinely written about. Its website is http://www.aerie.bc.ca .
And you might want to make car reservations, for both trips, with BC Ferries if you're planning to travel to Vancouver any time between now and Sept. 15'ish. I think the charge is $15 a trip, and it is really worth it rather than spending hours waiting for a ferry.
Have a wonderful time,
Linda
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea --it looks lovely. Do you know how much time I need to allow once my ferry arrives at Tsawassen to get to the airport? Other postings say about 30 minutes driving time, I believe; do I also need to allow for much time to unload off the ferry? We'll have a car.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:07 PM

No need to go back to Victoria to catch a ferry to Tsawassen. The Duke Point ferry out of Nanaimo will get you there also. Nice hotels in Nanaimo are the Dorchester Hotel, Coast Bastion. 30 minutes to the airport is about right, unless you are in the morning rush. Also depending on where you are at the front of the ferry another 10-15 minutes to unload.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:58 PM

I would probably stay by the beach in Parksville.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:59 PM

The odds are definitely against this, but now and then ferries are delayed due to high winds and even more rarely due to wildcat strikes. I'm not sure what time your flight from YVR departs, but I would leave plenty of time.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:50 AM

If you're planning to take the first ferry in the morning, I would definitely make a reservation on it. Go to the BC Ferries website for more information and to make the reservation. The cost is $15.00 but well worth it if you absolutely must make a certain ferry.