Search

Car help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car help!

I've searched for info in prior messages, but it only confused me more.

How do you get from Vancouver to Victoria if you have a car?

Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:02 PM

This is an easy one. You drive to the ferry dock, buy a ticket and wait for the next sailing. When the ferry docks on the island drive off the ferry and continue on to Vicoria. Go to the BC Ferries site for details. http://www.bcferries.bc.ca/
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:35 PM

The ferries depart from Tsawwassen, south of Vancouver, about a 20 - 30 minute drive from Vancouver Airport - or considerably more at rush hour sometimes....

The ferries are large but if you 'must'catch a particular sailing you should definitely reserve ahead of time.

The web site noted above will provide more details.

Jerry
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM

Jodienews - it sounds like you didn't realize that you can drive your car onto the ferry and tehn off again when you arrive.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I did know that you could drive the car on the ferry, but I didn't know where to find the schedule, the price, etc. Thanks!

I was wondering what you think the best way to go is? Should we not rent a car at all? Does it make it difficult to travel with luggage if you don't have a car? Our plan is to spend 3 nights in Vancouver, then 1 night in Victoria and 2 nights in Whistler.

Any advice is very appreciated!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:42 AM

You could do this without a car so long as you're not shlepping a whole lot of luggage, (i.e. more than one large and one small pag per person), but you'ld sacrifice some independance.

There is excellant and frequent bus service from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria and from Downtown Vancouver to Whistler Village. In both Victoria and Whistler a car is hardly necessary as most tourist spots are either within walking distance of where the bus drops you of or accessable by public or tour bus.

In Vancouver it is slightly more difficult but taking tourbusses, especially the ones that have drop off and pick up points will allow you to access most of the most popular tourist spots. Unfortunately there is so much in Vancouver that is spread out between the North Shore, Downtown, Stanley Park, UBC, SFU,Queen Elizabeth Park, etc. that a private car can make it easier. Still the expense of renting v.s. the cost of the tours may be a fair trade off.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Jodinews, where in Vancouver are you staying? If it's central, I wouldn't bother with the car. And I agree with GaryA that a car in Victoria is also unnecessary. (I've never been to Whistler so can't comment on whether you need a car there).

To take the car on the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria costs about $50 one way, for the car, driver and one passenger. In summer it's highly recommended to book a spot on the ferry, at $15 per vehicle one way in addition to the $50 fare. (Walk-on and bus passengers don't need to reserve a spot.)

If you're on a limited budget, you can do without the car. It's certainly nice to have, though.