which is better

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Kiki

which is better

We are visiting Seattle in August and would like to go into Canada for the day. Is it better to take the car or the ferry. And if we take the ferry do we take the car with. Also with only one day, any suggestions of what to see, we are taking our 15 year old son. Thank you

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Kiki

Also could you tell me the name of the ferry to take. Thank you

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:22 AM
confucious

It is far better to give than to receive.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:34 AM
x

If you're planning to go to the island of Victoria, the only way is by ferry, unless you want to swim. You can take your car on the ferry.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Kiki

We are planning on going to Vancouver

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:12 PM
lisa

KiKi, The drive between Seattle and Vancouver is 3 hours on I-5, if there are no accidents. The border crossing could take some time and the traffic in Canada is heavy. It is one annoying drive.

However, as far as I know, there is no good ferry alternative. I believe you would have to go to Victoria and from there drive to Swartz Bay, and take the ferry from there to Vancouver. This would probably be too time-consuming for a one day trip, especially given that it is only a 3 hour drive.

In Vancouver, Stanley Park is wonderful. You can rent bikes and ride around it. There are beaches, totem poles, and plenty of other things to see along the ride along the waterfront. I'd highly recommend that trip if you are able.

Also, the Museum at UBC is great, with wonderful NW coast "First Nations" exhibits. (I learned that terminology from this web site!)

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:15 PM
lisa

Kiki, If you haven't already, try posting on the Canada board, and use a more explicit title. I think the Canadian readers would have good ideas for a 15 year old boy.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Jimbo

As you have only one day, please consider the Victoria Express high speed ferry to Victoria. Loads of fun, and easy to do.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:24 PM
john R

A trip to Canada is a must but I'd advise taking the ferry to Victoria (sorry, cant help with names and times). For one, the trip itself is awesome--we saw more orcas on a recent ferry crossing than are seen on most whale watching cruises, and the customs wait is much shorter. By car, you can get stuck for 2 or three hours each way. Plus, if you drive youll end up in Vancouver, which is an awesome city but can be frighteningly confusing and crazy, especaiily with kids.