Something special in Nova Scotia

Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Donna

Something special in Nova Scotia

My in-laws are planning a trip to Nova Scotia to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. We would like to help them celebrate by finding a wonderful place to have them stay, sending them to dinner at a very special restaurant or something along those lines, rather than just handing them the money for the trip. Any suggestions? They plan to drive up from CT and also plan to see the Bay of Fundi. Thank you.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:08 PM
rita

Donna,

Last summer I stayed in a small B+B in Shelburne on the South Shore of NS. It was called the Coopers Inn and it was an old historical coopery (barrel builders) from the 1700's. In the town is an amazing restaurant (rated as the best restaurant in NS) called the Charlotte Lane Cafe. It is owned by a Swiss chef and his wife from Hailfax. Possibly one of the best meals of my life. I would definately suggest both of these as a possibility.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:03 PM
Laura

Donna, I think that Wolfville would also be an excellent destination for your in-laws. It has all of the elements you describe. Wolfville is a very attractive village with a top-notch theatre series, elegant inns, and gourmet restaurants. If they like nature, a quirky after-dinner activity would be to watch the chimney swifts descent en-mass at dusk. Short scenic drives would lead them to great views of dramatic tidal action from the outdoor lobster pound at Hall's Harbour, or to Cape Split.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:36 PM
x

Im sorry this is a dumb question?
Can you drive from the US to Nova Scotia and/or where do fly into, in other words is there a major airport?

Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:34 PM
a

In a nuthsell, you can drive to Bar Harbor, Maine and take a ferry to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia or fly to Halifax.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:27 PM

You can also catch a ferry to Yarmouth {overnight, you sleep in a cabin}from Portland, Me.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:29 PM
xxx

And, of course, you can drive to N.S, via New Brunsiwck!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:16 PM
peter

what are 'the chimney swifts'?

Mar 24th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Laura

They're birds. At dusk each night, they fly en-mass to their nests. This spectacle occurs at the Robie Tufts Nature Center on Front St. in Wolfville. People just show up and wait, feeling a bit silly. Eventually, a park ranger appears to help explain what you're seeing, and the birds begin descending, a few at first, then in greater numbers. There is also a small display.

Mar 26th, 2002, 06:26 PM
donna

Do you have any recommendations for the best restaurant in Wolfville or a really special place to stay.

Thanks

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Tanya

Your in-laws can take a ferry from Portland or Bar Harbour, ME to Yarmouth. From there, I would recommend they do the Valley and stay in Wolfville for the night. The Blomidon is a wonderful old Inn and I haven't heard any complaints. The Acton restaurant, which is walking distance, is highly recommended as well.

Also they may want to consider Halifax. There are some charming smaller inns - like the Haliburton House - which also has a great restaurant.

Mar 27th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Laura

I second Tanya's suggestion of the Blomidon Inn for your in-laws. My husband and I stayed at the "Gingerbread Inn" and liked it very much, but, for an anniversary, the Blomidon {1-800-565-2291} I think, is more romantic. It's an old sea captain's mansion. I believe that they have a restaurant with fine dining on-site as well. Paddy's Brew Pub in nearby Kentville is good for something more informal.I have also heard good things about Chez la Vigne for lunch or dinner in Wolfville, but haven't eaten there.The Atlantic Theatre Festival {excellent - 1-800- 337-6661 or www.atf.ns.ca} runs accommodations packages including several area lodging establishments, so you may want to ask about this when booking. Good luck!

Mar 27th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Stephanie

All of the suggestions you have received are accurate. If they prefer a more "active" destination, send them to Halifax. There are plenty of nice hotels and lots to do. I would suggest they dine at The Lower Deck and then take a sail boat ride on the Mar11, or take in a play at Neptune Theatre. There is a wonderful promenade that streches from Historic Properties to... anyway it's a lovely walk. Also, while in Halifax they can take a day trip along the South Shore to Chester and Lunenburg (a Unesco heritage site).

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Janet

Kingsburg (just South of Lunenburg) on the South Shore is beautiful and very special. Check out the web site at www.oceanfrontenterprises.com for information on the area and supber places to stay. I'd be happy to help with romantic resaurants in Lunenburg!

Janet

May 20th, 2002, 07:59 AM
vivi

If you don't mind spending the $$$, you should make a reservation for them at The Pines Resort in Digby. It overlooks the Annapolis Basin and is a beautiful resort.

http://www.signatureresorts.com/pines

My husband and I celebrated his birthday there last August and enjoyed a wonderful 4-star meal at canadian dollar prices. We live in NYC and that dinner would've probably cost us around $300 - instead, it cost half that much.

The setting is serene and the very romantic. They're sure to enjoy it.

May 21st, 2002, 06:59 AM
Maurice

We also loved Wolfville. We stayed at the Tattingstone Inn and loved it. The inn is very charming and the food is great. In town you can eat at Acton's restaurant. The food here is fabulous.
We also agree that the Pines in Digby is well worth a visit. The hotel is not on a par with Tattingstone Inn but is nice and the food is terrific.
Have fun