Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Staying at Dalhousie University in Halifax

May 18th, 2002, 08:53 AM
jg

I read that the university has rooms/suites available during the summer. Has anyone stayed there? Our family of four will be traveling to Halifax for two nights in July. How far is the university from the waterfront/main sights?
Thanks.

May 18th, 2002, 09:19 AM
chloe

Dal is within walking distance if you find the right route but it is still a decent walk. I would cab it instead and save my energy for walking around downtown and on the waterfront. Halifax is built on a hill and the walking is sometimes difficult. I think staying there and getting a cab is betting than staying at any of the downtown hotels as we've found the prices exorbitant in Halifax in the last few years!!

Dal is in the most beautiful residential part of the city with lots of trees, old buildings and old Victorian homes. I lived there 7 years before moving to Toronto and I miss my old neighbourhood!!

Have a great trip!

May 19th, 2002, 12:35 PM
jg

Thanks for your reply. Would it be hard to drive a car (instead of taking a cab) and then park it? I don't know about the parking situation near the waterfront/sights.
Thanks.

May 20th, 2002, 06:35 AM
chloe

You can take a car - there is parking downtown but may be difficult during the work week. Compared to Toronto, it's easy to find and cheap. Downtown Halifax is easy to get around and most everything is within walking distance of the waterfront. Public Transit is also pretty good.Go to this site for info:
http://www.region.halifax.ns.ca/metrotransit/index.html.

If you do take a car downtown, I would suggest finding a spot and leaving it there for the day.

May 21st, 2002, 01:50 AM
jg

Again, thanks for the information. I just have one more question. How far is it - in kilometers or miles - from Dalhousie to downtown and the waterfront?

May 21st, 2002, 10:52 AM
LJ

We just picked up my daughter who was in residence at one of the Dalhousie colleges (and one where you do NOT want to rent- the Women's residence of King's College- the Men's is fine).

I found walking downtown along Coburg- Spring Garden Road from the school to downtown both pleasant and "doable", I am a reasonably fit 50-year-old. It took about 20 minutes, so I am guessing about 1 1/2-2 kilometres.The road back is tougher as it is uphill (BTW, I am assured by my daughter that most of the Dal residence rooms are great-hers was one of the few that desperately needed a face-lift and new plumbing.)

The campus is pretty and quite close (10 minutes walk) from some terrific restaurants Il Mercato, The Fireside...if you have a car, do check out The Esquire, an authentic Mom-and_Pop family-style place for fresh inexpensive seafood, just around the harbour from downtown Halifax (772 Bedford Highway) in Bedford. Great fish sandwich and home-made pie.