Soho Metropolitan or Grand Hotel Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Toronto in September for long weekend (film festival). Have been before and stayed at Park Hyatt (not avail this trip). Loved the Yorkville area and hotel was very nice. Love lux and boutiques hotels on whole, though. Any recommendations between Grand and Soho Metropolitan?
Also, any word on Windsor Arms?
Thanks...
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:40 PM
BAK

Those hotels are vastly different from each other, I believe.

The Grand is, I understand, a nice, regular, hotel, in an OK location, but not a Film Festival location, really. It's the rebuilt former Toronto are headquarters of The Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The Soho Metropolitan is supposed to be a wonderful boutique-style hotel, it has Toronto's most expensive, probably, restaurant, in it, plus it has, for sure, a great casual deli/restaurant/food shop. It's on the edge of the Entertainment District.

Both are a longish walk from the subway, but both are on (close to)streetcar lines that take you to the subway that takes you to all the Festival locations.

There's a great chairs sculpture outside the Soho; can't remember any sculptures near the Grand.

Windsor Arms is probably better located than the other two; real movie stars stay there, I know. Movie stars don't stay at the Grand, and they may stay at the Soho. Le Germain is close to the Soho, and my minor experiences with the two of them put Le Germain well in front. I've toured Le Germain, and I'm -- this week only -- walking a dog past there every night. I'm not sure I;'d want to go dog walking past the Grand at midnight.

BAK
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:01 PM

Other alternatives are the Intercontinental and Marriot. Both are located on Bloor with the Intercontinental about two blocks west of Avenue Road and the Marriot a block east of Yonge Street. There is also the Four Seasons.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM

LOL .....BAK.....dog walking at midnight near the Grand would definitely be classified as 'adventure travel'.

Jerry
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:28 AM
MF

I would say that even during the day it is an experience to walk a dog in the Grand area. I attended a one day seminar there last year (but I live in Toronto) and although the hotel is OK I would not recommend it to friends. BAK and HogtownJim have provided good suggestions.