Toronto Grand Hotel

Search

Toronto Grand Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto Grand Hotel

Cosidering staying at the Toronto Grand Hotel in late May. Any comments on this hotel?
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:21 AM

If I'm thinking of the same hotel, it's a fairly new hotel (less than 5 years) on Jarvis Street. Can't comment on the hotel itself having never been inside, but I would say it's not a prime location from which to wander Toronto. Not terrible, but there's little of interest in the immediate five-block radius.<BR><BR>Some suggestions of varying price:<BR>Meridian King Edward - Friends of ours stay there often because they can always find very good packages. Excellent location at Yonge and King.<BR>(Normally higher end price but very cheap packages, espcially for weekends.)<BR><BR>Yorkville area (Bloor and Avenue Rd.)<BR>Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Intercontinental (all fairly expensive)<BR><BR>Right in the heart of downtown (Marriott Eaton Centre - some deals available)<BR>(Colony Hotel and Metropolitan Hotel) more reasonable and well-located behind City Hall).<BR>
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:42 AM
PLJ

Mandm, there have been a few comments on the Grand over the past year. You may find it helpful to run a text search using &quot;Grand Hotel&quot; and &quot;Toronto&quot;. Many people seem to think that its a nice hotel but there are differing views on the neighbourhood.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:57 PM

ack?? Differing views - what view could be positive of Jarvis - you can't walk there at night!! Or at least I wouldn't and I am born and raised Torontonian!! I am a Social Worker too (as you can see because only a Social Worker would capitalize the title) and I have done many an unpleasant run in the area - and Jarvis is prostitute row - and further up the street was Transvestite strip...So although the Grand looks beautiful and I know they are trying to improve the area (maybe more than I thought) it is still JARVIS street!?!&gt;!!<BR><BR>
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:30 PM

I have to agree with my social worker friend. The hotel is the former RCMP building, with a men's hostel right behind it, near the strip club and boarded up stores. The area is improving but it has a ways to go. Though the hotel is beautiful I'm afraid most visitors would be left with a very poor impression of our city.