Seeking Trans Canada train recs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Summer 2017, which train? When to go? Class of service? Best value? How long? Tips/Tricks? Thanks!
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 05:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is only one ViaRail train that goes from Toronto to Vancouver. I have ridden on the Canadian several times but only in coach.
It depends a lot on how much you can tolerate sleeping in a coach seat. The sleeper cars are quite comfortable but very expensive IMO.
The Canadian only runs 3 days a week in each direction.
If what you want to see is in eastern Canada, you might want to start on the Canadian from Vancouver to Jasper and spend 2-3 days then fly from Edmonton to Toronto and use ViaRail in Eastern Canada.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Then what is the Mountaineer?
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Rocky Mountaineer is a rather expensive tourist train that is parked at night in scenic locations.
After breakfast the train moves onward. The route is from Vancouver to Calgary.
The Canadian travels 3 days per week with an hour plus stop in Jasper before heading east through Winnipeg ending in Toronto.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Rocky Mountaineer is seriously expensive, the Canadian is merely somewhat expensive in sleepe classr. I got a very good deal (half off, if I rememberr right) by booking early and traveling before the end of May, you might check the website to see if there are any deals on offer.

I can't sleep unless I'm horizontal so I definitely needed sleeper class. The good news is that, unlike Amtrak, Via Rail does offer single roomettes, as well as curtained berths. The rate includes all meals and I thought the food was good.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 02:41 AM

We’ve done the Canadian sleeper class Toronto -Vancouver and Toronto-Winnipeg. I really love it and consider it good value if you avoid peak season or get a last minute special. The meals and service are excellent. In the dining car you are seated at tables for four, so get to meet and chat with an interesting mix of international visitors and Canadians.

If you choose an upper/lower berth your daytime seats will be similar to coach so you can chat with people across the aisle. The shared bathroom facilities are clean, private, and adequate: rarely wait time for showers. Compartments for 2 also have an upper and lower berth and a tiny bathroom, no shower as I recall. More private, of course, but I felt cut off from fellow travellers, and the daytime configuration had our seats facing toward the back of the train.

Observations cars are great.

If your budget doesn’t stretch to sleeper class, you could travel coach and make a couple of stops in cities along the way.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:04 PM

<i>"The Rocky Mountaineer....is parked at night in scenic locations."</i>

I do have to take exception with the idea that Kamloops is <i>'scenic'</i>
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:08 PM

Oops clicked too soon.........my Best tip would be to keep an eye on the area right beside the tracks-countless times I've observed wildlife literally a stone's throw away they are accustomed to the train and not bothered by it at all.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Hi Lbloom,

I have taken the Canadian train Toronto <-> Winnipeg <-> Vancouver a few times; there's also the Ocean from Montreal-Halifax and Toronto-Montreal trains if you really want to go coast to coast (I've taken these a few times as well). In answer to one of your questions: I do not think it matters which month of summer you choose to travel across the country, although beaches in Maritime Canada are too cold for swimming in June (June ends up being a bit of low season there as a consequence which does have its appeal).

I've taken the upper berth a few times, as it's the cheapest sleeper class option to go cross country (in which meals are included, there's access to dome car, games car, bar car, musical entertainment (when offered) and a nicer waiting lounge in Toronto and Vancouver).

I agree with Eliztravels2 on everything except the berth being like coach during the day. The two opposing seats for the berth push together to make the base for the lower berth; commonly, one does have someone across from you, so the berth seats pushed together made for a space where one could sleep horizontally.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I can't deny being a train lover but this train was really special--taking the train across Canada has been one of my favourite travel experiences in life (why I've done it more than once!).