The Canadian - Toronto to Vancouver by Train - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Canadian - Toronto to Vancouver by Train - Part 2

Overview and Comparison of "Classes" on the Canadian from my observations:

"Dis"Comfort or ECONOMY CLASS or "coach" :

Frankly I personally would not even consider this. There were 2 "coach" cars on the trains I took.

After the first night the "coach" passengers looked exhausted, uncomfortable and severely rumplied. On the 3 trains we were on there always seemed to be at least one screaming baby/toddler in coach (perhaps that's a "feature") accompanied by an exhausted mother.

From what I gather the following is what you get as a "coach"/economy passenger:
1. a seat - at least it reclines but you won't sleep much
2. a blanket
3. a pillow
4. One Dome car is yours to use
5. You can purchase food

The good news (such as it is):

"Coach" never seemed full or over-crowded - so there is a good possibility that you can get 2 seats (side-by-side) for yourself..
The train employee running the snack bar seemed pleasant and allowed at least one person to nuke their own noodles

The bad news:

You WILL be sleep-deprived in coach.
You bring on or buy food on the train. NO free meals or snacks for coach passengers.
You are restricted to YOUR section of the train (the 2 coach cars and the dome/snack car). I don't know if they will let you into one of the dining cars to buy a proper meal.

Final Word: DON'T travel to Vancouver in the coach unless you have absolutely no other choice. One exception to this comment - if for example you are travelling to Vancouver from Edmonton but sleeper class is full until Jasper (not unusual - a lot of people leave the train at Jasper), take coach to Jasper (about 4 hours if memory serves) and then arrange to switch to sleeper in Jasper. We met one couple who did this.

SLEEPER CLASS

This is the way to go. I have already broken down the range of sleeper accommodation in Part 1 - so I won't go into that again.

What you get in "sleeper" class accommodation:
1. An actual bed (ranging from a "berth" to bunk-beds) to sleep on. You may not get as much sleep as at home but at least sleep is a possibility in sleeper class.
2. Some privacy (even the berths have thick privacy curtains at night) and the various cabins all have doors
3. Except for the berths, you will have your own sink and toilet
4. Everyone in your car shares the shower. I always found it clean and adequate.
5. All your meals are included and they are good. (I will do dining in more detail later).
6. Free snacks (fresh fruit, cookies, hot drinks, ice water) and in the morning (in addition to the dining room breakfast) muffins and juice are provided as well and at each major stop (Toronto, Winnipeg, Jasper) free champaigne and nice snacks after the "new" passengers have boarded,
7. Various activities in the 'game" dome car. (Trivia, DVDs twice a day,board games and cards are available, Bingo for tiny prizes (like key chains) and a couple of presentations.
(I particularly liked the presentation on the history of flooding in Winnipeg).
8. You have access to ALL passenger areas of the train including coach. It's nice to "walk" the entire train for a bit of exercise.
9. THREE dome cars were reserved for sleeper passngers. For me they had a certain fifties retro charm. I actually preferred them to the Panorama car.
a) The Park Car (right at the end of the train -great views of the receding tracks). The bar is located here below the dome level. There is comfortable seating on the lower level and in the Dome.
b) Game car - this is where games (scrabble etc) were available for use and where DVDs and presentations were done.
c) Another Dome car - can't remember much about it.
We spent most of our time in the Park Car and also went to the Game Car when there was something we wanted to do. These areas are great for meeting and socializing with other passengers. We found that we really spent very little time in the cabin and a lot of time in the Dome cars. My only complaints about the Dome cars: the seats don't recline and some seats in the dome are a bit threadbare in spots. Also they need a more effective way to remove bug guts from the dome windows. The windows are washed a couple of times BUT it seems to be impossible for the window washers to do a decent job on the front-facing part of the dome.
10. 2 Dining cars. You will be assigned to one of these if you are in Sleeper class
The dining cars are pleasant and setup with tables for 4. If you are a couple, or a single you are likely to be sharing your table. This is another great opportunity to meet fellow passengers.
11. Panorama Car
This is a modern, nearly all glass car that gets added to the train in Edmonton for the trip through the rockies. The viewing from it was good BUT they seemed to have real problems getting the car to a decent temperature - you either froze from over-airconditioning or cooked from over-heating. This car is also on the train between Vancouver and Edmonton on the Eastbound trip.

Various miscellaneous other features and comments about sleeper class:

Try to steal a glance into the kitchen of one of the dining cars - you will be astounded at how small it is.

Every sleeper car has a women's washroom and a men's washroom. These have a toilet and sink and a large mirror. Except at night I preferred using them rather than using the TINY toilet in the cabin.

All Sleeper cars are NAMED (our outbound sleeper car was Jarvis Manor). Memorize this name - it makes your car easier to identify after you have been wandering the train.
The various sleeper cars are virtually identical - so it is NOT hard to accidently wander into someone else's cabin unless you know what car you are in. (I did this once - luckily no-one was there and I realized my mistake immediately and quickly backed out.)
NOTE: Your cabin ONLY locks from the inside - so when you are away from it you cannot lock it. Security isn't really an issue because the cabin attendants are ALWAYS around except when eating and they know who belongs to their car BUT I would keep my wallet with me just in case.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM

How much was your trip per person?
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Rates can vary a LOT. The rates are generally better (more deals) in the off-season. Prime and most expensive season is the summer - June,July and August

Viarail has regular sales + they frequently do special deals.
They also offer a Senior's discount. Sometimes they have REALLY good last minute deals.

IF you are travelling in Prime time - the summer and want specific accommodation, you MUST book well in advance. If you are flexible and not picky, you can get a great last minute deal. (The couple we met who did Edmonton to Jasper in coach and then Sleeper (berths) from Jasper to Vancouver got an excellent last minute deal that they booked about a week in advance.

Us - we had to book well in advance because we wanted a two person cabin on specific dates. We got the senior's discount (for age 60+) for ONE of us. The TOTAL cost was about $4800(Can) RETURN for the two of us. We went out by train and returned by train. It is cheaper to go in one direction by train and to fly the other. Per person the senior paid less than $2000 and the "other" more than $2000 - can't remember the exact breakdown but seniors do get a good deal.

We learned that the cabin type most in demand is the Triple Sleeper cabin (they are VERY limited in number and must be booked WELL in advance). The easiest sleeper accommodation to get at the last minute are single sleeper cabins and berths.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Great information! My husband and I are booked on the Canadian, Vancouver to Toronto, in mid July and can't wait! We booked in mid April and hit a 50% off sale, so the price was $2300 for both of us for a double sleeper cabin. One question - I wasn't sure about the number of stops along the way. I am assuming it is not at every little town, like some of the "local" trains, correct?
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Leanne, have a great trip! The Canadian only runs 3 days a week each way. You will have refueling stops at Kamloops, Jasper (1 hour+), Saskatoon, Winnipeg (1 hour+) Sioux Lookout and Sudbury.
There are a few other stops for people getting on/off. There is no other "local" passenger train west of Toronto. You will stop on a few sidings to let freight trains pass.
Us poor people sleep in coach and sleep in Winnipeg and Jasper.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Long stops:

Kamloops, Jasper (get out and walk around town), Edmonton, Winnipeg (4 HOURS - get off the train for a bit)
Not so long: Saskatoon, Sioux Lookout, Hornepayne, Capreol (Sudbury Junction). You can get off the train but don't go far.
There is also the occasional REALLY SHORT stop to let someone on or off the train.
We had a short stop at Foleyet in Northern Ontario on the way back. Two idiots got off the train for a smoke. Wandered off somewhere and got left behind. The train does NOT wait for you. All Aboard means NOW.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM

If anything would get you to quit smoking it would be that!

Should be Foolyet.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks all! You have made my husband smile even wider - a chance to visit some hockey towns, even if briefly! I hope Winnipeg will have some cool items for the Jets (or whatever name they settle on!).
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks semiramis for this detailed report on a beautiful, eye-opening train journey (one of my favourites) that will be so helpful for others considering this trip!

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:26 AM

This is a trip we've talked about taking for years so I am enjoying the report details. I am glad to know we will both qualify for senior discounts next year.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM

What a great report and interesting read!! So helpful to others considering such a trip - such good background information to initiate planning,
Much-enjoyed!!
Thanks again for sharing!!