Restaurants in Banff and Jasper

Jun 19th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants in Banff and Jasper

We will be on a tour the second week of July and on one night each in Banff and Jasper we have dinner on our own. Can anyone suggest a really good restaurant or restaurants in each of these places. Since the rest of our dinners are "Tour" dinners we would like to really indulge ourselves twice.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:16 AM

I really enjoyed the SaltLick in Banff, very interesting decor, great food and service.
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:06 AM

My husband and I like Ticino's (Swiss-Italian)--Banff. They've been in business for at least 2 decades and we've always had a good meal and good service. I would like also to recommend the restaurants at the Rimrock Hotel, although it's been over 2 years since the last time we ate there. Do a walk-through, anyway. The views are gorgeous. If you like what you see, you can make a reservation on the spot. The Rimrock has a website, and I think Ticino's does too. Don't know Jasper, sorry.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:52 AM
sockboy

There is a fish (which also serves other things, but fish is their specialty) restaurant on the 2nd floor of the main street in Jasper which is excellent. I THINK it is called Fiddle River. I would say it is the best restaurant in town. If you have a car (I'm guessing you won't as you are on a tour) you could drive to the Jasper Park Lodge which has an excellent first rate restaurant - The Edith Cavell Dining Room. But you might want to save that type of Dinner for Banff and eat at the famous Banff Springs Hotel.

Jun 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM

The really fancy restaurant at the Rimrock is over-priced in my opinion. However, their regular restaurant is very good ( much of the same food as the fancy one but with larger portions). Ticino has been around a long time and is good. Giorgio's is another place we like but more casual.
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:35 PM

there is a nice japanese restaurant along Banff Ave. but forgot the name it is two blocks across Mount Royal Hotel and its on a second floor. Price reasonable and food taste is very good.
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:02 AM

We like that Japanese restaurant too--I also can't remember name. Had very nice lunch there.
Jun 28th, 2003, 04:10 PM

Hi all,

We just returned from our Rocky Mountain trip a few days ago, and as expected, had a great time. Here are two great restaurants worth trying in Banff:

If you like Greek cuisine, the Balkan is excellent - and reasonably priced - which is always an added bonus.

If your taste leans toward southwest dishes with Mediterrean influence i.e. California fusion, we strongly recommend The Cayote Grill. Really super food with lots of color and eye appeal. Reservations are an absolute *must*!

Bon appetit.
Jun 29th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Well, we do most of our own cooking while in Jasper, and when we do go out we prefer the less expensive places, but I do know the Villa Caruso is one of the pricier spots, and the Fiddle River Fish Co.(or something like that) is quite nice, from what I remember (we were there a few years ago). The Edith Cavell Room at the Lodge is very highly rated as well. The Cavell Room is a short drive out of town; the other two are right on Connaught (the main drag), both in 2nd floor venues, so the views should be nice.
Jul 1st, 2003, 05:52 AM

the japanese rest. is named Sukiyaki Hourse, along banff avenue and on a second floor.
Jul 1st, 2003, 05:52 AM

the japanese rest. is named Sukiyaki House, along banff avenue and on a second floor.