Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Now to the food Questions of my Banff/Calgary trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help so far in helping me plan the trip. Finally booked the "return" portion of my trip just now, ha ha, maybe I was never coming back....
On to food: I have read a ton of the reviews here and elsewhere. Any consensus from this board on the BEST steak, roast beef and italian in Banff and/or Calgary. Being a red meat lover, I am hoping that going out west will furnish me with some truly memorable meals involving excellent beef cuts/preparation. BAK mentioned the roast beef at the Banff Springs hotel and that got me thinking....
I know, we are boring eaters, steak and Italian, but what can I say..no mad cow scaring me off meat! Ha! Thanks again in advance.
We will be spending a night or two in Calgary as well, maybe, so if someone could toss in a great steak house there that would be great as well!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:17 PM
BAK

In Calgary, Hy's is an excellent high-end steak house.

Lower priced, but really good, is Smuggler's, which is on the south side of town and a drive away.

I usually eat there at least once per trip to Calgary. Now that I think about it, it's been too long since I was there. I need to comeup with an excuse to go, and a client to pay.

There used to be, and may still be, a restaurant on the Calgary side of Banff, just before you leave town, called Bumpers. Again, excellent Alberta roast beef and steaks. I ran into the provincial premier there once; even he has to eat well.

It's been a while since I've been to a Tuckers restaurant in Alberta, but they used to serve excellent roast beef, too, with lineups at the door before opening. probably still do.

Whether that is still true, I don't know.

At the low end of the price scale, there's a pizza chain in Alberta called Boston Pizza and I've had many a good late-night-after-a-long-day meal there, when I did not have the energy to go somewhere fancy.

BAK
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:19 PM
BAK

In my imagination, but perhaps not in fact, beef at Tuckers in Calgary is better than beef at Tuckers in Ottawa, although I like Ottawa, too.

BAK
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions BAK.
I hope Hy's in Calgary is better than the one in Ottawa. After living in Toronto for so many years, coming here, the Hy's certainly didnt measure up. It has actually been terrible at times. No consistency at all. Some times food was very good, other times, horible. So we just stopped going. Good steakhouses in Ottawa are hard to find. Thats part of why I'm happy to be going west!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Food is something that my husband specilizes in - eating it, that is !, so we have had a wide variety of dining experiences on our frequent trips to the Rockies (several times every year for the past 20 years).
Here are some suggestions:

In Jasper, Tonquin Prime Rib Village and Villa Caruso Steak House and Bar (for steak) and Sorrentino's (Italian) will meet your requirements. My two favourite spots are however, Fiddle River (seafood) and Truffles and Trout (for coffee and snacks). If you want to try bison, ostrich, or Alberta Beef, try Andy's Bistro. Jasper isn't very big so you won't have any trouble finding the restaurants.

Banff on the other hand has so many restaurants that your biggest problem will be making a decision where to eat ! When you walk the main street (Banff Ave), you will be passing by restaurant after restaurant, and most have menus posted on/by the doors.
The best dining in Banff is either at Le Beaujolais (where we had the best meal in Banff ever!!)or Eden in Rimrock Inn (yes, it is fine dining and I would recommend not coming in ski pants or jeans !).
Our personal "casual" favourite is "Coyotes Deli and Grill" (food with a Tex-Mex southwestern flavour, and the best coffee in town!!). It's a good place for either lunch or dinner.
We have also liked the food at Ticino Swiss-Italian Restaurant, and had yummy fondues at Banff Grizzly House Restaurant. And we have had enormous hamburgers for lunch at Wild Bill's Legendary Saloon (the theme there is very "Alberta&quot.
To tell you the truth, the only place that we have ever been disappointed with (in Banff) was Maple Leaf Grille.

Bon Appetit!!
And welcome to Alberta!!!

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:39 AM
KMK

Saltlick in Banff is wonderful. Highly recommend for meat lovers!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Our favoirtes in Banff are Tocino, Swiss-Ilalian; Saltlik - Beef and Banff Springs Hotel.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:22 PM

In Calgary try Ed's restaurant (202 - 17th Ave. SE) for excellent steak and in Banff you must go to Cayotes Grill on Caribou St.

jet29
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Sherry -
My recommendations for Calgary are as follows (I live here and frequent these restaurants on a regular basis);
Italian - my favourite is Il Sogno and a close second is La Dolce Vita. Il Sogno places a slightly modern twist on the traditional Italian dishes. You will not be disappointed - the chef is amazing - for a real treat try his tasting menu!
For steak - I'd recommend Saltlik. Another option is Wildwood - great Rocky Mountain fare and it includes some unique game dishes such as bison ribs. The atmosphere there is lovely - try to get a table near the fireplace!
Enjoy your trip!